[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] are all memory boards compatible with 68020 boards?

sitongia@hao.ucar.edu (Leonard Sitongia) (03/20/90)

I'm thinking about getting either the Microbotics 8-UP! or SupraRam2000
memory boards.

Are they compatible with the A2620 board?  What are the constraints on
memory not on the coprocessor board, that allow the 68020 to use the
memory.  I guess the memory has to be faster than some rate.

By the way, both boards are available at the same price.  Can someone
help me decide between the two?  :-)

Thanks.
--
-Leonard E. Sitongia    System Manager		 (303) 497-1509
USPS Mail: High Altitude Observatory P.O. Box 3000 Boulder CO  80307

davidw@telxon.UUCP (David Wright) (03/20/90)

	All memory boards are compatible, no matter what the speed. They
just aren't 32-bit memory. Only boards designed for the '020 board itself
will be 32 bit, and will need to be faster.

	I would go with the SupraRAM board. I have one and have had no
problems with it.
--
Telxon:         | davewt@NCoast.ORG             | Programs Plus presents:
 x4350          | uunet!hal!ncoast!davewt       | CoreWar, CRobots, Empire

In article <6691@ncar.ucar.edu> sitongia@hao.ucar.edu (Leonard Sitongia) writes:
>I'm thinking about getting either the Microbotics 8-UP! or SupraRam2000
>memory boards.

I'm pretty sure either board works just fine.  I've seen a SupraRam2000 used
with some of the 32 bit systems, and I have an 8-UP in the lab which runs like
a champ.

>Are they compatible with the A2620 board?  What are the constraints on
>memory not on the coprocessor board, that allow the 68020 to use the
>memory.

Almost all of the constraints are on the Coprocessor board.  The Coprocessor
board must fully emulate a 68000 for any off-board memory cycles.  As long as
an expansion card is designed to the actual bus specifications (rather than
the observed behavior of the bus, eg, what just happens to work) the expansion
card should work in all Amiga backplanes with all Amiga coprocessors.

>I guess the memory has to be faster than some rate.

No, the Coprocessor card inserts wait states to access the expansion bus
memory.

>-Leonard E. Sitongia    System Manager		 (303) 497-1509

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough