[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] New Amiga questions: 2630 vs. GVP/Multisyncs

dwallach@riki.berkeley.edu (Dan Wallach) (03/19/90)

I'm about to buy an Amiga, while the educational discounts remain.
I believe I want to buy in components, while I can - I don't need
the AT Bridgeboard and end up saving $600 or so.  The question:
I know I want a monitor that will work with ECS, but it has to
work with the existing hardware.  The Sony's seem very nice, but I know
very little about hooking them to the Amiga.  Will the 1302/1304 work
with an unmodified Amiga analog-RGB output?

The salesman was extremely vague about the 2630 vs. the GVP board.
He was saying how awesome the 2630 was and how "everbody else is
just playing catch-up" with Commodore's wonderful product.  What's true?
If I get an A2500/30, how much 32-bit memory can I add, and how fast?
Does the 2630 take standard SIMM's?  Does a GVP 030 board run faster
than a 2630 board?  How easy will it be to put a faster 68030 on-
board, when they become more cheaply available?

In summary, what's the nicest, most elegant way for me to have a 68030/68882
Amiga with lots of memory, and compatibility with 1.4 and other future stuff?

Dan Wallach                    Phone:               ____   _____
dwallach@riki.berkeley.edu     415-643-1020        /      /    /  /
"Everything you do today will be wrong."          /      /----/  /
         -- Douglas Adams                        /____  /    /  /____

In article <23211@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> dwallach@riki.berkeley.edu (Dan Wallach) writes:
>I know I want a monitor that will work with ECS, but it has to
>work with the existing hardware.  The Sony's seem very nice, but I know
>very little about hooking them to the Amiga.  Will the 1302/1304 work
>with an unmodified Amiga analog-RGB output?

	Commodore is coming out with a bisync monitor and it will be
in the educational program. When it will be out, I don't know. It
shouldn't be long I don't think, but that's just a guess. BTW, you
have till the end of June to buy on discount.

>The salesman was extremely vague about the 2630 vs. the GVP board.
>He was saying how awesome the 2630 was and how "everbody else is
>just playing catch-up" with Commodore's wonderful product.  What's true?

	That's just not true. The GVP boards are faster, and come in
28, 33 and 40MHz versions. The design is much better, but they are
also more expensive. GVP does really seem to set the standard for
speed, but you get what you pay for.

>If I get an A2500/30, how much 32-bit memory can I add, and how fast?
>Does the 2630 take standard SIMM's?  Does a GVP 030 board run faster

	The 2500/30 lets you have up to 4MB on board. There is a
daughterboard which can add more memory, however, the daughterboard is
not yet in production. The GVP lets you have up to 8MB of RAM
expansion on board. I believe the CBM card requires you to solder the
RAM in. The GVP uses expensive RAM but it can be just snapped in.

>In summary, what's the nicest, most elegant way for me to have a 68030/68882
>Amiga with lots of memory, and compatibility with 1.4 and other future stuff?

	They both appear to be fully compatible in the future. You can
be sure that the Commodore will work with Unix. GVP claims that theirs
will too.

>Dan Wallach                    Phone:               ____   _____
>dwallach@riki.berkeley.edu     415-643-1020        /      /    /  /
>"Everything you do today will be wrong."          /      /----/  /
>         -- Douglas Adams                        /____  /    /  /____

	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???

	"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold
fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

	NewTek says, "if you are waiting for the toaster, get your
bread ready." Well, I say my bread is now stale so they'd better be
making a microwave!

In article <1990Mar19.180839.21488@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <23211@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> dwallach@riki.berkeley.edu (Dan Wallach) writes:

>>The salesman was extremely vague about the 2630 vs. the GVP board.
>>He was saying how awesome the 2630 was and how "everbody else is
>>just playing catch-up" with Commodore's wonderful product.  What's true?

>	That's just not true. The GVP boards are faster, and come in
>28, 33 and 40MHz versions.

GVP just (Saturday night) officially announced their 40MHz version.  The 28MHz
version is using a 25MHz part -- some people think it's OK to do that, others
don't.  My guess is that it usually works OK.

>The design is much better,

Better is a relative term.  It really depends on what you want.  The GVP boards
are the first non-Commodore accelerator boards that seem reasonably compatible
and reasonably reliable.

>but they are also more expensive. GVP does really seem to set the standard for
>speed, but you get what you pay for.

>	The 2500/30 lets you have up to 4MB on board. There is a
>daughterboard which can add more memory, however, the daughterboard is
>not yet in production.

The daughterboard specifications have, however, been released to developers.
There may be a choice of daughterboards before long.  You can logically address
about 64 megabytes on the daughterboard.

>The GVP lets you have up to 8MB of RAM expansion on board.

Well, not really.  The GVP board doesn't allow any memory to be added on-board.
The currently do ship a daughterboard (follows their own conventions) which can
have either 4 or 8 megabytes of 32 bit memory on it.  That memory board is a bit
faster than the on-board A2630 memory, but of course the separate board and
additional logical complexity (for burst-mode support) makes it more expensive.

>>In summary, what's the nicest, most elegant way for me to have a 68030/68882
>>Amiga with lots of memory, and compatibility with 1.4 and other future stuff?

>	They both appear to be fully compatible in the future.

Well, actually, most GVP boards currently out there need a PAL change to work
right with 1.4 and some other things.  However, GVP has already solved the
problem.  I would certainly expect them to try and support their customers; they
seem to be trying to make their stuff follow the Commodore specifications for
things wherever possible.  For example, theirs is the only other accelerator
board on the market that implements its 68000-space 32 bit memory correctly
(autoconfigs and supports DMA).

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

eaeu079@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jason Goldberg) (03/20/90)

In article <1990Mar19.180839.21488@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	That's just not true. The GVP boards are faster, and come in
>28, 33 and 40MHz versions. The design is much better, but they are
>also more expensive. GVP does really seem to set the standard for
>speed, but you get what you pay for.

I have to take exception to the comment that the GVP is better designed than
the A2630.  I would say both boards are well designed.  Yet, they are/were
built with different goals in mind.  Both are great products and each offers
it own pro's and con's yet neither is a poorly designed product as is implied
above.  While, I like the GVP and it IS faster than a stock A2630 I would have
to say that Dave Hayne is a heads and shoulders above anyone at GVP.  As the
story goes GVP very carefully followed Daves guidelines in designing there
product, and anyone at GVP other than their sales-staff have nothing but
praise of Dave and anything he builds.

I have yet to have anyone tell me what kind of chip is in 28 MHz GVP.  If its
a Mot. 33 MHz chip why only run it at 28?  If its a 25MHz running at 28MHz
then don't talk to me about their stuff being well designed...

-Jason-

--

---------
Jason Goldberg                     INTERNET: eaeu079@ORION.OAC.UCI.EDU

To: eaeu079@orion.oac.uci.edu
Subject: Re: New Amiga questions: 2630 vs. GVP/Multisyncs
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware
Bcc:

In article <2606039B.1640@orion.oac.uci.edu> you write:
>In article <1990Mar19.180839.21488@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>>
>>	That's just not true. The GVP boards are faster, and come in
>>28, 33 and 40MHz versions. The design is much better, but they are
>>also more expensive. GVP does really seem to set the standard for
>>speed, but you get what you pay for.
>>

>Both are great products and each offers
>it own pro's and con's yet neither is a poorly designed product as is implied
>above.  While, I like the GVP and it IS faster than a stock A2630 I would have
>to say that Dave Hayne is a heads and shoulders above anyone at GVP.  As the

	I'm sorry I left that misunderstanding. I did not mean to
lower the A2630, just raise the GVP board. The burst-mode RAM, DMA
access to on-board RAM and the connection to a hard drive via a 32 bit
bus give it technological edges, IMHO.

>I have yet to have anyone tell me what kind of chip is in 28 MHz GVP.  If its
>a Mot. 33 MHz chip why only run it at 28?  If its a 25MHz running at 28MHz
>then don't talk to me about their stuff being well designed...

	Yes, it is true: the 28MHz board is a 25MHz chip. Even Hazy
said that wasn't so bad. Usually the tolerances are quite high. I am
sure that GVP would replace the chip if the owner had problems!
However, I understand your point that you don't want to take the risk
in the first place!

In article <1990Mar20.165016.16651@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>In article <2606039B.1640@orion.oac.uci.edu> you write:
>>In article <1990Mar19.180839.21488@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>>Both are great products and each offers
>>it own pro's and con's yet neither is a poorly designed product as is implied
>>above.  While, I like the GVP and it IS faster than a stock A2630 I would have
>>to say that Dave Haynie is a heads and shoulders above anyone at GVP.

Well, gee.  I certainly won't start an argument here.  And I am taller than most
of the GVP engineers I've met...

>	I'm sorry I left that misunderstanding. I did not mean to
>lower the A2630, just raise the GVP board. The burst-mode RAM, DMA
>access to on-board RAM and the connection to a hard drive via a 32 bit
>bus give it technological edges, IMHO.

Just a bit of clarification needed here.  DMA access to 32 bit RAM (either the
A2630's on-board RAM or the GVP's daughterboard RAM) is supported by both cards,
probably because of the rules I helped make up that say, if your memory is in
the 24 bit address space, it must autoconfigure and be DMA-able.  GVP is the
only board other than the two Commodore boards, to date, to get this right.
Their hard drive interface is indeed on the 68030 bus, but it's only a 16-bit
wide imbedded AT style interface.  Dirt cheap to implement, but no faster than
SCSI.  The burst-mode memory is a nice feature, but didn't meet up with the
constraints of the A2630, which included support for 2 meg banks (nybble-mode
DRAM on a 32 bit bus gives you a minimum 4 meg bank) and on-card memory (you
can always build more clever memory systems if you have a whole daughtercard
to fit them onto).