[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] REPOST: A2630 troubles

eaeu079@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jason Goldberg) (03/22/90)

---------------

I have a CBM A2630 (68030) as well as the A2091 (Harddrive controler, with a
3.5 mounted on it) and a A2058 (2 MEGS) all in my Amiga 2000.  Recently, I have
been having a problem with the whole system freezing up.  If I reset I am
just greated with a blank screen.  If I power down/up the system it boots up
fine, only it doesn't recognize the A2630 being there.  The only way to fix
the thing is to go in and re-seat the A2630 card.  Then everything seems to
work fine until the next time.  The freezes seem to be occuring more and more
frequently, I think the first one, loosely followed the occurance of a
minor earthquake about a month ago.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to
a more permanent fix than just working with one hand on the A2630?

I am still having the same problem.  The A2000 is rev 4.4.  I thought that
maybe the problem was that with the A2091 (in hardcard configuration) in slot
1 and the A2620 in the CPU slot that it might be a little too tight of a fit,
but I moved the A2091 over to slot 2 and still I get lockups.  Somebody,
please help me!

Thanks,

-Jason-

--

---------
Jason Goldberg                     INTERNET: eaeu079@ORION.OAC.UCI.EDU

In article <26084FBE.25257@orion.oac.uci.edu> eaeu079@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jason Goldberg) writes:

>I have a CBM A2630 (68030) as well as the A2091 (Harddrive controler, with a
>3.5 mounted on it) and a A2058 (2 MEGS) all in my Amiga 2000.  Recently, I have
>been having a problem with the whole system freezing up.  If I reset I am
>just greated with a blank screen.

Unfortunately, that doesn't sound much like anything I've run into so far.

>If I power down/up the system it boots up fine, only it doesn't recognize the
>A2630 being there.  The only way to fix the thing is to go in and re-seat the
>A2630 card.  Then everything seems to work fine until the next time.

Does reseating the A2630 card really fix the problem?  Always?  And that's the
only way to fix it?  If so, it sure sounds like you have a bum 86 pin connector
on your motherboard more than anything else.  Assuming, of course, that you
haven't somehow managed to get an A2630 with some grease or something on the
86 pin connector.  My best guess is that the A2630 and your A2000 board are not
mating properly for some reason -- it sure sounds like a mechanical thing.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough