[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2091 Performance, and A2090A Problems

In <2419@cpsc6a.att.com>, crs@cpsc6a.att.com (Chris "I'm Outta Here!" Seaman) writes:
>First, when I set up the 2091, I received the standard 'This may
>take up to 30 minutes' warning when I selected low-level format, but
>in reality the drive was only accessed for about 15-20 seconds (if even
>that long). [ ... ]
>
>Question #1:  Is the above condition normal?  The drive has acted
>normally in every way since I formatted it, but I am still curious.

Yes.  The Quantum ProDrives, when asked to do a low level format, say "Yup, Ok.
Done" right away, and don't actually do the format. In the case of drives that
do this, it is A Good Thing, since the drive knows more about the condition of
the formatting than any program could. There is usually a way to force it to
low level format, but unless you really need to, it is best left to the
discretion of the drive.

>Also, I noted that the default partitioning split the drive (a Quantum
>Prodrive 105S) into two equal partitions.  I thought about this, and
>it occured to me that this might be a Good Thing, since it might
>slightly improve the performance of the partitions, plus it would
>reduce the possibility of data corruption if/when disk errors occur.

It doesn't reduse the possibility of corruption should something untoward
happen. It does reduce the time it will take to recover from the corruption.

>Question #2:  Is there any performance improvement using 2 partitions
>versus 1 large partition?

It really depends on what is on the partitions, and how it is being used. For
example, to access two files, one on each partition, you are guaranteed a
fairly long seek to find a file, to about the middle of the disk where the root
block starts. Caching reduces this somewhat, but you get the idea. Partitions
eat memory, and only you can decide how you want to do things, after weighing
the pros and cons. My feeling is to have as few partitions as possible, but
some folks are more comfortable with a few per drive.

>Finally, I attempted to install my old A2090A controller and Rodime drive
>in my brother's 2000, with little success.  He has a motherboard stamped
>Rev 4.1, but it has a sticker over it that reads 'A2000 Rev 4.3'.  I
>don't know which is correct.  The machine is still at Kickstart 1.2.
>The symptom I get is a slow cycling of the power LED, with no WB prompt.
>
>Question #3:  I realize that this machine won't be able to autoboot, but
>why won't it boot at all?  Should I remove the Autoboot ROM?

It will not be able to autoboot, and the ROMs will make no difference at all.
What you do need to do is put the hddisk.device into the expansion drawer of
your boot disk along with its icon. You will also need to ensure that
icon.library is in the LIBS directory of the boot disk. Don't know what the
problem could be in your case though, as you should get to at least the 'Insert
WB' hand picture. Try it in a different slot, double-check the seating of the
board. The metal plate at the rear of the board can hang up and cause the board
not to seat properly.

Good luck.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

" Seaman) (03/14/90)

I have just upgraded my 2500 from an A2090A to an A2091 controller,
and I have a couple of questions for the net.experts out there.

First, when I set up the 2091, I received the standard 'This may
take up to 30 minutes' warning when I selected low-level format, but
in reality the drive was only accessed for about 15-20 seconds (if even
that long).  Since I am new to SCSI devices, I don't know if this is
'normal'.  I realize that the HD Toolbox software is also designed to
work with the A590 controller, which supports 'AT' style drives, and
perhaps the message really only applies to that type of configuation.

[...]

All in all, I am very impressed with the 2091/Quantum combination.

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |    /--\
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           |   |    |         "This is as real as

kfellens@Intrepid.ECE.UKans.EDU (Keith Fellenstein) (03/14/90)

Pull the boot ROMS off the 2090a and try again, it should work fine.

I had nearly the same problem with a GVP Impact 500 unit from a friend
with 1.3 Roms and a 500 with 1.2 ROMS.  With GVP boot ROMS, flashing
power LED, without GVP boot ROMS, all was well.

Your mileage may vary.

Keith Fellenstein

In <2420@cpsc6a.att.com>, crs@cpsc6a.att.com (Chris "I'm Outta Here!" Seaman) writes:
>lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>< (Chris "I'm Outta Here!" Seaman) writes:
><
>< It will not be able to autoboot, and the ROMs will make no difference at all.
>< What you do need to do is put the hddisk.device into the expansion drawer of
>                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>< your boot disk along with its icon. You will also need to ensure that
>< icon.library is in the LIBS directory of the boot disk. Don't know what the
>< problem could be in your case though, as you should get to at least the 'Insert
>< WB' hand picture. Try it in a different slot, double-check the seating of the
>< board. The metal plate at the rear of the board can hang up and cause the board
>< not to seat properly.
>
>I removed the Autoboot ROMs from the 2090A, and the machine does boot, but
>I have no copy of hddisk.device to put into the Expansion directory.  I
>suspect it is in the ROMs (since the 2090A worked properly on my 2500),
>but I've looked through every directory of every disk that I received
>when I purchased the 2500, and there is no disk-based copy of
>hddisk.device.  Where am I supposed to get a copy?

hddisk.device comes with the 2090 and 2090A, but in the case of the 2500HD, I
guess they decided to leave it out. You are right in assuming hddisk.device is
on the 2090A ROMs, and it's useless to you in that form unless you also have WB
1.3 that allows autoboot. You can probably get hddisk.device from a dealer if
you explain the situation, and if you or any freinds are on Compuserve, the
latest version of the driver is on the AMigaTech forum in CBM's 'update'
library.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

" Seaman) (03/16/90)

[...]

Also, thanks to the many people who have sent me mail about this problem.
Your collective help is much appreciated.  BTW, several people indicated
that I might find more info in the 2090A manual.  WHAT 2090A manual?  I
have never seen such a beast, and I broke the original seal on my 2500
box.  The closest thing I have to that is the 'Introduction to the Amiga
2500' pamphlet, which contains NO technical information about the
controller.  All it contains is a section on correct software design
on a 68020, and a (brief) walk-through of the 2090A 'Re-install' software.

< Good luck.
<
< -larry
<
< --
< Entomology bugs me.
< +-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
< |   //   Larry Phillips                                                 |
< | \X/    lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca -or- uunet!van-bc!lpami!lphillips |
< |        COMPUSERVE: 76703,4322  -or-  76703.4322@compuserve.com        |
< +-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |    ___-/^\-___          qatul batlh.
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           |  //__--\O/--__\\        qatul Huch.

jenglish@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Jim English) (03/23/90)

>>I removed the Autoboot ROMs from the 2090A, and the machine does boot, but
>>I have no copy of hddisk.device to put into the Expansion directory.  I
>>suspect it is in the ROMs (since the 2090A worked properly on my 2500),
>>but I've looked through every directory of every disk that I received
>>when I purchased the 2500, and there is no disk-based copy of
>>hddisk.device.  Where am I supposed to get a copy?

I too removed my autoboot ROM's, and ran into the same thing. I did
find a copy of hddisk.device however. It is on one of the disks you
got with the 2090A. Under a directory called HardDisk. The file is
named Hdisk or something like that. I simply copied it over and
renamed it to hddisk.device, and it works fine.
--
Jim English    MD-IPC   | JENGLISH@D37.TYMNET.COM or jenglish@tardis.tymnet.com
(214)637-7406  Dallas   | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jenglish