[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Another question about watching TV on a monitor

hensley@frith.egr.msu.edu (John Hensley) (03/15/90)

I've tried splitting the signal from my cable TV tuner so that I can get a
picture on my 1084D, but for some reason all I get is a blank screen. I've
checked it about a dozen times, making sure it's set to composite, the plug
is in the right place, the F-plug is contacting the RCA adapter, etc., and
still nothing.

I know the video jack on the monitor works, because a VCR works fine, and
I've tried two F-plug to RCA adapters. The splitter works OK because the
TV runs fine from either output, from either cable.

Any ideas would be appreciated, through e-mail if possible, of course.

John

a418@mindlink.UUCP (Coniah Chuang) (03/15/90)

Is the signal from the tuner a composite video signal or is it RF?
The 1084 monitor requires a composite video signal to work.  Simply changing
the physical shape of the connector (ie. F-plug to RCA) does not change the
signal from RF to video.  The video machine works because you used the video
out of the machine rather than the RF out.
Or, I could be wrong and you'd best ignore me.  I'm in computers not TVs.
-Coniah

bgriffin@mentor.com (Brian Griffin) (03/16/90)

In article <6946@cps3xx.UUCP> hensley@frith.egr.msu.edu (John Hensley) writes:

>I've tried splitting the signal from my cable TV tuner so that I can get a
>picture on my 1084D, but for some reason all I get is a blank screen. I've
>checked it about a dozen times, making sure it's set to composite, the plug
>is in the right place, the F-plug is contacting the RCA adapter, etc., and
>still nothing.

The cable coming into your home has many channels of video modulated on RF
carriers at different frequencies.  The box the cable company gives you
selects one of these many carrier frequencies (e.g. channel 13) and
effectively removes the video/audio information from it and places it on a new
carrier and sends that out to your TV set (typically channel 2 or 3).  The TV
set's tuner removes the video and audio from the carrier and then sends the
video to the "monitor" section of the TV.

Your monitor doesn't have a tuner section so it can't decode the information coming
in from the cable.  This is one reason why the cable has an F-plug and the
monitor has an RCA plug.  Note:  you'd have the same problem if you connect
the cable to the VIDEO IN jack on your VCR.

>I know the video jack on the monitor works, because a VCR works fine, and
>I've tried two F-plug to RCA adapters. The splitter works OK because the
>TV runs fine from either output, from either cable.
>
>Any ideas would be appreciated, through e-mail if possible, of course.

Try running the cable to the CABLE or ANTENNA jack on your VCR then connect
your VCR to your monitor.

>John

I hope this helps

                                             __
                                            /__)      . __
                                           /___)_/-,_/_(_(_/V/_
                                          /

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Boing) (03/20/90)

along similar lines:

I've used my monitor with a vcr for tv viewing for a while now.  is there
a simple way/device that can do what the vcr does (separate the the audio
and video coming in on the coax cable) without requiring the other vcr
stuff?  is it a complex circuit?

--
  //    boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!   //
\X/  								       \X/

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (03/21/90)

In article <7019@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> amiga@uhccux.UUCP (Boing) writes:
>along similar lines:
>
>I've used my monitor with a vcr for tv viewing for a while now.  is there
>a simple way/device that can do what the vcr does (separate the the audio
>and video coming in on the coax cable) without requiring the other vcr
>stuff?  is it a complex circuit?

It is called a TV tuner. It used to be really complicated but these days
it is down to about 4 chips and some analog components. You could build
one or you could buy a really cheap VCR (like $100) and get the same
function (albeit in a somewhat larger package). Another alternative is the
component TV tuners however these are generally targeted to the "high end"
videophiles so they are expensive.

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

zaphod@diku.dk (Ole D. M. Lennert) (03/22/90)

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:

>In article <7019@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> amiga@uhccux.UUCP (Boing) writes:
>>along similar lines:
>>
>>I've used my monitor with a vcr for tv viewing for a while now.  is there
>>a simple way/device that can do what the vcr does (separate the the audio
>>and video coming in on the coax cable) without requiring the other vcr
>>stuff?  is it a complex circuit?

>It is called a TV tuner. It used to be really complicated but these days
>it is down to about 4 chips and some analog components. You could build
>one or you could buy a really cheap VCR (like $100) and get the same
>function (albeit in a somewhat larger package). Another alternative is the
>component TV tuners however these are generally targeted to the "high end"
>videophiles so they are expensive.

I don't know if it is available in the US, but I have a Philips
TV tuner which costs Dkr 1200, approx. $150. If you are interested
in the type designation of this tuner, send me mail.

>--Chuck McManis
>uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
>These opinions are my own and no one elses, but you knew that didn't you.
>"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

Ole Lennert
Student at Institute of Datalogy, University of Copenhagen
E-mail: zaphod@freja.diku.dk
Ole D. M. Lennert (zaphod@freja.diku.dk)

"Though he did not know it, Rob McKenna was a Rain God."

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (03/22/90)

In article <6946@cps3xx.UUCP> hensley@frith.egr.msu.edu (John Hensley) writes:
>I've tried splitting the signal from my cable TV tuner so that I can get a
>picture on my 1084D, but for some reason all I get is a blank screen.
>I've tried two F-plug to RCA adapters. The splitter works OK because the
>TV runs fine from either output, from either cable.

The cable TV converter is not a tuner.  You need a tuner, such as your VCR.

from cable             channel    VCR   composite   1084
company  +-----------+  3 or 4 +-------+  video  +---------+
==>==>==>| converter |==>==>==>| tuner |-->-->-->| monitor |
         +-----------+         +-------+         +---------+

The input to the cable converter is channels 2 thru 6, A thru W, and 7 thru
13.  Its output is an RF (radio frequency) signal on either channel 3 or
channel 4.  You have to have a tuner to convert this RF to a composite video
signal.  (The Sony KV1311 monitor has a built in tuner, the Commodore
monitors don't.)  So, unless you go out and buy a seperate tuner (such as
from Radio Shack), you'll need to have your VCR in the circuit to watch
TV on your 1084.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (03/23/90)

In article <133172@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
> In article <7019@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> amiga@uhccux.UUCP (Boing) writes:
> >I've used my monitor with a vcr for tv viewing for a while now.  is there
> >a simple way/device that can do what the vcr does (separate the the audio
> >and video coming in on the coax cable) without requiring the other vcr
> >stuff?  is it a complex circuit?
>
> It is called a TV tuner. It used to be really complicated but these days
> it is down to about 4 chips and some analog components. You could build
> one or you could buy a really cheap VCR (like $100) and get the same
> function (albeit in a somewhat larger package). Another alternative is the
> component TV tuners however these are generally targeted to the "high end"
> videophiles so they are expensive.

I've never had a need for a TV tuner because I have cable and a VCR (going
into a 1080) but it seems like I heard of them being available occaisionally
for about $50. You might check Radio Shack.

					       Mike,

--
"Could we be the bellwether  | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
 of major societal shifts?"  | DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (03/23/90)

Talk to your neighborhood TV repair-person.  Maybe a tuner from an
old set that lost its picture tube is avialable.  Maybe the tuner
will be workable.  Maybe it will be resonably priced.  It's worth a
shot.

Or contact the local surplus electronics house and see if they carry
any used Tuners.  Or try the ads in the back of RAdio Electronics
type of magazine.

Dana Bourgeois @ Cup.Portal.Com