[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Bitchplanes - this guy is starting to bug me

BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz (03/30/90)

Well, I don't know all that technical stuff.
Play with Multiplot sometime.
If the extra processors don't do anything, why is plot drawing so much
faster on an A500 than a MAC SE?
OK. Maybe you're right, its not the chips, its just the mother board
design. Who cares? Multiplot compiled on Amiga refreshes much faster
than multiplot on a mac.
Regards Alan

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (03/30/90)

In article <6209@wehi.dn.mu.oz> BAXTER_A@wehi.dn.mu.oz writes:
>Well, I don't know all that technical stuff.
>Play with Multiplot sometime.
>If the extra processors don't do anything, why is plot drawing so much
>faster on an A500 than a MAC SE?
>OK. Maybe you're right, its not the chips, its just the mother board
>design. Who cares? Multiplot compiled on Amiga refreshes much faster
>than multiplot on a mac.
>Regards Alan

I don't believe that Wayne was trying to compare the speeds of Amiga
graphics with that of other micros. I see what the rest of the machine
can do & just wish the graphics could keep up without the gyrations one
has to perform to approach what is needed. In my view, the Amiga is an
excellent platform for low-end technical applications, vastly superior
in resources than a PC (MS-DOS) or a Mac for pretty much everything
except for graphics. The current graphics capabilities have been the
only thing which has kept me and others from using the machine for such
things as CT, radiology and infrared image processing, volumetric (3D)
waveform processing, acoustic holography, synthetic aperture
tomography, etc.  in something approaching, if not reaching, real-time
(except for tomography :^)

For these capabilities all that I need is:
- line drawing capabilities which are a minimum of 4x faster than
current OS calls permit.

- WritePixel speeds of at least 10x current OS calls.

- minimum of 8 bit pixel information - preferably with a 'packed pixel'
format as an option. Note that with 8 bits of packed pixel format, one
can easily set color scaling to an acceptible resolution for most
technical applications by simply changing the color scale. Currently,
one has to remap the data to fall into the selected color ranges which
are available. The packed pixel format would also allow one to simply
point to an unsigned char array of engineering data or calculation
results & blit it to the screen. Much faster than what one has to
currently do.

While there are ways to get around some of the limitations, there needs
to be OS support for these capabilities to 'honestly' use the Amiga in
many technical arenas. With the help of several on the net here I have
been able to overcome some of these limitations, but I wish there was
an OS supported way of handling these situations. Without the OS
support, I have a much harder time justifying the use of the machine
for these applications.

Please note that I'm not complaining. I find the Amiga an incredibly
refreshing machine to develop on (especially when hooked to a *nix
machine), and a tremendous relief when I come from a PC-oriented
project. Just wish I could use it for these other applications. I'll
confess, I actually do all my PC project development on an Amiga & use
Cross-dos to transfer the files for compilation.  Despite all the disk
handling, the Amiga is a far superior environment for even simple text
editing. Sure beats a PC with even a PC-NFS connection to a *nix
server.  Will never go back.

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"