[net.space] National Commission on Space named

According to a recent item in Science, Reagan has finally named the
members of the National Commission on Space, charged with defining
the goals of the US space program.  The news is good; here's the list
(apparently one more member is awaiting security clearance):

Thomas O. Paine, former NASA head
Laurel L. Wilkening, planetary scientist at U of Arizona
Charles E. Yeager, who should need no introduction
Neil A. Armstrong, ditto
Kathryn D. Sullivan, ditto
Gerard K. O'Neill, ditto
Jeane J. Kirkpatrick, outgoing US ambassador to UN
Luis W. Alvarez, UCB physicist, Nobel prize
Paul J. Coleman, UCLA geophysicist, Space Research Assn. president
George B. Field, former Harvard-Smithsonian Astrophys. Observ. director,
	Nat. Acad. of Sci. Astronomy Survey Ctee. chairman
William H. Fitch, retired deputy USMC chief of staff for aviation
Charles M. Hertzfield, director of research and technology for ITT
J.L. Kerrebrock, head of aero/astro dept. at MIT
David C. Webb, space development consultant

The article does note "...it remains to be seen whether anyone will pay
attention when the commission finally does report...".  This is tentatively
scheduled to happen early in 1986.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

jcp@brl-tgr.ARPA (Joe Pistritto <jcp>) (05/03/85)

In article <5558@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>According to a recent item in Science, Reagan has finally named the
>members of the National Commission on Space, charged with defining
>the goals of the US space program.  The news is good; here's the list
>(apparently one more member is awaiting security clearance):

Now wait a minute...  Personally, I can't understand why on earth a
group defining the direction of the US space program should NEED a
security clearance.  After all, the military isn't going to let anyone
outside DOD play with THEIR space operations, so surely the civilian
side of the program should be completely unclassified.

(Come to think of it, the very FIRST place the committee's report should
be mailed is the Kremlin, that way they'll start moving on it 5-10
years ahead of Washington, which will scare everyone in Congress into
funding the rest of the program...  (1/2 :-))

						-JCP-