[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] FlickerFixer Questions

wizard@sosaria.imp.com (Chris Brand) (04/02/90)

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) wrote:

>(1)	When the Amiga is NOT using interlace mode, I assume that the
>	FlickerFixer sits there doing absolutely nothing.  Is this
>	true?

Not quite. The picture will have no visible scanlines and it will be much
crisper and sharper and overall more pleasing to work with.

>(2)	There was some discussion long ago that the FlickerFixer
>	makes some animated objects (like the mouse pointer, sprites, etc.)
>	look different.  I can't remember the details.  I think someone
>	said that a moving object appeared as several objects.  Am I
>	misled?
>
>Issue (2) is important to me because I don't want any of my games to be
>interfered with.  Of course, if (1) is true, then all of my (non-interlaced)
>games will be unaffected anyway.

Well, since it uses some kind of double buffering technique you can see a
faint trail left by animated objects. However, 1) you get used to this
very quickly and 2) it's by far not as bad as with a long persistence
monitor. As for interfering with games, I didn't see any problem until
now, then again I have to say that I don't play shoot-em-ups, where the
trail effect will probably be strongest.
It is compatible with ALL software.

>(3)	Any complaints about your FF?  Do you like it?

Well, since you live in the USA you won't have this problem, but the PAL
version doesn't support FULL PAL: 710x510 instead of 7??x6?? (I keep
forgetting the maximum overscan numbers...) which is not even normal PAL
resolution (which would be ???x512).
And there's Amax, who switches to 60hz (ntsc) if the Fatter Agnus (or
whatever it's called this week) is present. The PAL FlickerFixer is not
compatible with 60Hz mode, you can't look at the picture.

Except these two little things I'm EXTREMELY pleased with it, I couldn't
work without it anymore.

Before you rush off and buy one now, you'd better wait to see the A3000.
It's going to be equipped with a flickerfixer (a Commodore version)
onboard. DON'T FLAME ME NOW! If you don't believe me, just wait to see it
with your own eyes.

--
Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.imp.com