[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2630 questions

jeh@elmgate.UUCP (Ed Hanway) (02/23/90)

Dave Haynie writes:
>There aren't alot of these systems running around
>with gobs of memory, but they do exist, and of course they had to put that
>memory somewhere.  At the time, there was no great master plan through the
>90's of where things go, so it has been pretty much up to the individual
>32 bit card where memory goes.  If it's possible for such memory to act as
>if it were a valid autoconfig device, I think it belongs in autoconfig
>space, at least up to the limits of memory.  That's what we did on the
>A2620 and A2630.  Once that space is out, autoconfig is impossible; there's
>no support in Zorro II for more than 24 bit addressing, in software or
>hardware.  But some folks still want the memory.  My guess at the time was
>"how about starting at the next 16 meg chunk and working your way up".  But
>I see things like these extra memory cards, such as an A2630 daughterboard,
>very system-specific.  You're not going to add 10 daughterboards, or 5, or
>even 2 to an A2630 -- you'll add one at most.  So the location of the
>memory is not a serious problem, and hardwiring it to link it in with AddMem
>is the best solution for this kind of thing.

I have a fully populated 8 meg card and a 4 meg A2630. Is there anything I
can do to the A2630 to turn its autoconfig memory into addmem memory? As it
is now, the A2630 autoconfigs first, then half of the RAM card autoconfigs,
then I run out of autoconfig space. Obviously the RAM card can't be remapped
to a 32-bit address, but are there any possibilities for the A2630?

I can live with addmem, and I can live with a solution that I'll have to undo
down the road when I slap a 64 meg daghterboard on the A2630 :-), but I cringe
whenever I think of that wasted 4 megs just sitting there dropping in value
every day.

Ed Hanway
Eastman Kodak Company	       ...!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jeh
#include <std_disclaimer.h>    jeh@elmgate.UUCP jeh@elmgate.sisd.kodak.com

In article <1209@elmgate.UUCP> jeh@elmgate.UUCP (Ed Hanway) writes:

>I have a fully populated 8 meg card and a 4 meg A2630. Is there anything I
>can do to the A2630 to turn its autoconfig memory into addmem memory?

Unfortunately, nothing reasonable.  The A2620 can remap its RAM with a PAL
change, but the extra pins on the mapping PAL used in the A2620 was needed
for more important things in the A2630.  It might be possible to hack in
something with cuts, jumpers, and a PAL programmer, but you won't get it
easily.

>I can live with addmem, and I can live with a solution that I'll have to undo
>down the road when I slap a 64 meg daghterboard on the A2630 :-), but I cringe
>whenever I think of that wasted 4 megs just sitting there dropping in value
>every day.

I have a number of interesting A2630 hacks in the works.  If I do come
across any easy way of doing this, I'll certainly post it as well.  There is
definitely no "plug and chug" solution.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

stefan@hercule.cs.concordia.ca (BUCHHOLZ stefan) (04/08/90)

	I'm taking the plunge. I will be getting an A2630 card in a few
weeks. I have the 2090a, 2088 and 2058 (2megs on it), does anyone see
any problem with dropping this card into another slot? What I would like
to hear is a good report from someone eho has a similar configuration. Also,
is Commodore planning on boosting the Clock speed of the CPU over 25Mhz
soon?  The reason I ask this is that this board has been criticized for its
lack of OOMF compared to GVP's. Merci beaucoup!

							Stefy

Stefan Buchholz * Concordia University Computer Science * a.k.a Stefy LePew
stefan@doyle.cs.concordia.ca  > MITE AVsita Multimedia lab system support <<