[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] UNIX drivers for 3rd party hardware

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) (04/07/90)

I recently had a disturbing thought - what will happen to those of us who
have non-CBM drive controllers when UNIX is released.

I have a Microbotics HardFrame.  I called them yesterday to ask this question.
I was told that *IF* CBM makes the appropriate details known, then they will
consider working on it.  The person said that they don't have any real
intention of grinding out UNIX drivers all by themselves because they feel
(and probably justifiably so) that there won't be a demand for them.

So, if I want UNIX, does that mean I am out of luck unless I get a CBM
controller?  Or does CBM plan to help 3rd party people with disk (and other)
UNIX drivers?

I realize that UNIX hasn't even beeen released yet, but the answer to this
question (or even an authoritative hint) would be *VERY* important to
those of us with non-CBM controllers, or those currently looking for a
controller, who are also interested in UNIX, IMHO.

And finally, if I end up selling my HardFrame and getting a 2091, will I
have to reformat the drive, or could I get away with just running CBM's
prep program?

Thanks for any answers that anyone can provide.

--
Hollywood's Animato Lives!                          ==>  Mike Jittlov  <==
ARPA: rlcarr@space.mit.edu                                   is

ski@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Lance Jones) (04/07/90)

In article <1990Apr7.044529.4320@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rlcarr@space.mit.edu (Animato) writes:
>I recently had a disturbing thought - what will happen to those of us who
>have non-CBM drive controllers when UNIX is released.

>So, if I want UNIX, does that mean I am out of luck unless I get a CBM
>controller?  Or does CBM plan to help 3rd party people with disk (and other)
>UNIX drivers?

I have talked with people from GVP before and they have reassured me numerous
times that they will provide support for their products under Unix.  This
includes supplying device drivers and correcting any miscellaneous hardware
problems that show up.  They have also told me that they are a registered Unix
developer (a somewhat vague statement, but that's what they say).
	Certainly if you look at the products they offer (030 boards, HD con-
trollers, tape backups, ethernet cards) you would be inclined to believe that
they plan to enter the Amiga Unix market.

	-Lance

	Lance Jones		Mail forwarded to:
	Vet Data Network		jonesl@vet.vet.purdue.edu

riley@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Daniel S. Riley) (04/08/90)

In article <1990Apr7.044529.4320@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rlcarr@space.mit.edu (Animato) writes:
>So, if I want UNIX, does that mean I am out of luck unless I get a CBM
>controller?  Or does CBM plan to help 3rd party people with disk (and other)
>UNIX drivers?

I seem to recall that Microbotics has been complaining (on BIX) that
Commodore simply hasn't told them anything about device drivers for
Unix.  Dunno how true this is, but it might explain their lack of
enthusiasm.

>And finally, if I end up selling my HardFrame and getting a 2091, will I
>have to reformat the drive, or could I get away with just running CBM's
>prep program?

The HardFrame and the 2091 both adhere to Commodore's RDB specs for
autobooting controllers, so you should be able to take a drive straight
off the HardFrame, stick it on the 2091, and boot off of it without
doing a thing.  Of course, to run UNIX you'll have to reformat at
least one partition as a UNIX file system, but you shouldn't have to
low-level format the entire drive.

Of course, I've never seen Commodore's Unix, so I could be wrong on
that last bit.

-Dan Riley (riley@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu, cornell!batcomputer!riley)
-Wilson Lab, Cornell University