[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Monitor problems

apang@undergrad.cs.ubc.ca (Anthon 'Amiga' Pang) (02/12/90)

This has probably been discussed before (hey I've had my Amiga since '85,
it's only recently that I've gotten Usenet access), so please  be forgiving
and help out a fellow user:

As I was experiencing a bit of 1080 snapping recently, I decided to try out
my 1702 (C64 monitor).  Connecting the video out resulted in real blurry /
ghosted picture.  It was bad enough, that I went back to the 1080.  Since
then the snapping has appeared to have subsided (the calm before the storm?)
so I didn't bother with bringing in my 1000/1080 for a "checkup".  But I just
bought another A1000 (now the proud owner of two of them!), and I needed a
monitor...so I brought out the 1702 again.  Well, the picture quality is the
same as with my first 1000.  So, is the problem in the 1702 ? or in both of my
1000's ? (please don't say all of 'em)

Info much appreciated.

In <1990Apr8.174215.6461@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>	I have just begun to notice a problem with my NEC MultiSync
>3D. It is a relatively common problem, as I've seen it before, I'd
>just like to know what I can do about it. The problem is that I will
>see this little line that stretches horizontally across the screen
>move up from the bottom to the top of the screen. So far, it is only
>one line at a time and it isn't very strong, however I'd like to get
>to the root of the problem before it gets worse. Thanks,

The most comnon cause of that problem is the presence, nearby, of another
monitor or TV set. On any two monitors, unless they are being driven by the
same video source, you can have a small variation in scan frequencies. This
will cause the symptoms you describe, with the speed of the moving line being a
function of the frequency difference.  Best solution is to physically separate
the monitors.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

	I have just begun to notice a problem with my NEC MultiSync
3D. It is a relatively common problem, as I've seen it before, I'd
just like to know what I can do about it. The problem is that I will
see this little line that stretches horizontally across the screen
move up from the bottom to the top of the screen. So far, it is only
one line at a time and it isn't very strong, however I'd like to get
to the root of the problem before it gets worse. Thanks,

	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else

robin@sabre.austin.ibm.com (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (04/10/90)

In article <1990Apr8.174215.6461@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	I have just begun to notice a problem with my NEC MultiSync
>3D. It is a relatively common problem, as I've seen it before, I'd
>just like to know what I can do about it. The problem is that I will
>see this little line that stretches horizontally across the screen
>move up from the bottom to the top of the screen. So far, it is only
>one line at a time and it isn't very strong, however I'd like to get
>to the root of the problem before it gets worse. Thanks,

Does it look like a sort of ripple or wave going up the screen?  If so I
also have this problem, and it's always been there.  I just assumed that
it was caused by some sort of frequency mismatch, or something between the
Amy and the monitor.  (Of course, as has been pointed out many times in the
past, I don't know what I'm talking about.)  Anyway, if you figure it out,
please let me know.  BTW, I had mine (NEC 3D) for 5 months now, and the
behavior hasn't changed at all.  I don't usually notice it either.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|USNail:                               UUCP:                                  |
|2323 Wells Branch Pkwy., #G107        cs.utexas.edu!romp!ibmchs!auschs\      |
|Austin, TX  78728                     !sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin            |
|Home: (512)251-6889                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<-MUST BE INCLUDED|

In article <1368@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <1990Apr8.174215.6461@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>>just like to know what I can do about it. The problem is that I will
>>see this little line that stretches horizontally across the screen
>>move up from the bottom to the top of the screen. So far, it is only
>
>The most comnon cause of that problem is the presence, nearby, of another
>monitor or TV set. On any two monitors, unless they are being driven by the
>same video source, you can have a small variation in scan frequencies. This
>will cause the symptoms you describe, with the speed of the moving line being a
>function of the frequency difference.  Best solution is to physically separate
>the monitors.

I have this problem, but it is not caused by another monitor.  The only other
monitor I have is my T.V. and it is in another room -- at least 30 feet
away.