[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Help! 68030 hates HardFrame

Eric.Sanders@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Eric Sanders) (04/09/90)

I had a problem also with the HardFrame/030 combo along with the 2091.
Whenever I accessed my partition icon of of the hardframe, the system
would lock up.  I called Microbotics and they send thee'd send me out a
new version of their PAL chip U9.  In the mean time I managed to get the
system working by putting the Q40 drive from the hardframe onto the 2091
and formating with the 2091 installation disk.  I then switched back to
it back onto the hardframe and the problem went away.  A few days later
I got the upgrade PAL chip.  Always wanting the most current of
everything, I installed it.  Like you, my system would boot into a GURU
every time.  Check the chip on the HardFrame marked U9.  If if has a
resistor soldered directly onto two of it's pins, its the newer version
that didn't work when I installed it either.  I put the origional PAL
back in and the hardframe works fine.

AFIT Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway |Eric Sanders - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
    1:110/300 Dayton, Ohio     |UUCP: afitamy!210!Eric.Sanders
        (513)-252-7681         |ARPA: Eric.Sanders@f210.n110.z1.FIDONET.ORG

climber@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP (climber) (04/10/90)

In article <10528@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <1990Mar31.051128.15367@IRO.UMontreal.CA> martin@iros52.UUCP (Daniel Martin) writes:
>
>>   Until now I have been happily using my amiga 2000 system.  It contains a
>>microbotics 8up (with 2 meg), a microbotics hardframe with a mounted Quantum
>>40Meg drive, and a MicroWay flicker fixer.

>If you've had your Hardframe for awhile, it's most likely the problem.  The early
>Hardframes had a bus arbitration problem; technically put, they negated BGACK*
>before the end of a cycle.  While the 68000 system wasn't fast enough to react
>to this problem, any 68030 system with DMA-able memory will definitely have a
>problem.  Microbotics fixed this around a year ago.

{ Much stuff deleted }

I tried the 2630 and really liked it (its a cool board, Dave :-) )
However, I also own a hardframe which is one of the older ones that,
while the system worked, I had to remove a memory card since the hardframe
did not like it.  So, the question is: can I affect a fix so that my
older hardframe (which is nice and fast and I like it) works?  It is
true that the 1 meg agnus chip does NOT like the hardframe (from friends
with exactly the same setup) and I can't move up to the new chipset
until I deal with this problem.  Any suggestions?

Craig  climber@sol.UVic.ca

In article <1012@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP> climber@uvicctr.UVic.CA.UUCP () writes:

> I tried the 2630 and really liked it (its a cool board, Dave :-) )
> However, I also own a hardframe which is one of the older ones that,
> while the system worked, I had to remove a memory card since the hardframe
> did not like it.  So, the question is: can I affect a fix so that my
> older hardframe (which is nice and fast and I like it) works?  It is
> true that the 1 meg agnus chip does NOT like the hardframe (from friends
> with exactly the same setup) and I can't move up to the new chipset
> until I deal with this problem.  Any suggestions?

Contact Microbotics...