[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2500/30 hard drive location-physical mounting question

paleo@uncecs.edu (Constantine A. LaPasha) (04/11/90)

Recently got an A2500/30.  On first power-up it refused to boot from
the hard drive.  This turned out to be a loose power connector on the
Quantum drive - fixed, no sweat, and everything seems to work fine.
Now, since we wanted to install a second 3.5" floppy drive in the
machine, I needed to relocate the Quantum drive somewhere since it
was where the floppy was to go.  Discovered at this time that three
of the four shock-mounts on the Quantum drive were not intact in the
"as-shipped" condition.

Question on remounting the Quantum drive:

1) Can anyone forsee any problems with mounting the Quantum drive in
the 5.25" drive bay, using a 3.5->5.25 adapter bracket?  This would
mount the drive by the mounting holes on the two sides of the drive
and leave about .25" and .5" of space below and above the drive
respectively (mounted).  The original rubber shock mounts would NOT
be used.
2) If I don't use the rubber shock mounts (as in 1 above), what kind
of risks would I be running?  If I really need to use those little
rubber shock mounts, where can I get some that are still intact,
hopefully that won't fall apart too soon.

(BTW - the system does get moved occasionally, but generally well
packed and padded)

----
Kostya LaPasha          paleo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu
==== ... virtually, we can do anything ... ====

clj@rtmvax.UUCP (Chuck Joslin) (04/11/90)

In article <1990Apr10.183730.3929@uncecs.edu> paleo@uncecs.edu (Constantine A. LaPasha) writes:

>Recently got an A2500/30.  On first power-up it refused to boot from
>the hard drive.  This turned out to be a loose power connector on the
>Quantum drive - fixed, no sweat, and everything seems to work fine.
>Now, since we wanted to install a second 3.5" floppy drive in the
>machine, I needed to relocate the Quantum drive somewhere since it

Why not just mount it on the A2091? That's what I go with all on the
machines I handle. Gee...just like a hardcard! (-:

You will need to pick up a short double ended power cable to power the
drive from the 2091. The alternative is to use the end of the one that
comes from the power supply. Which is very difficult to do if you have
a bridgeboard and need to power a 5 1/4 drive from it. It can be done,
but you need to re-locate one of the connectors on the power cable.

The softmounts for the Quantum often seem to get broken loose in transit.
I've also had several machines with the SCSI cable at the Quantum loose.

Chuck Joslin
AmiComp Computer Center
Authorized Amiga Dealer
(407)366-2000, BBS (407)36-MODEM