[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2091 and A2090A

david_r_watters@pansy.cis.ohio-state.edu (04/11/90)

I have a hard drive that I was using with my A2090A.  It had a small
old-file partition, and a large fast-file partition.  The old-file
part. auto mounted, and the fast-file had to be mounted in the s-s.

How can I mount the fast-file partition that has data I need and was
last used on the A2090A, with my new A2091?

It does not auto-mount.   I have the old mountlist entry but don't
know what to put for Device = ?

Thanks.

watters@cis.ohio-state.edu

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (04/11/90)

In article <79106@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> <watters@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>I have a hard drive that I was using with my A2090A.  It had a small
>old-file partition, and a large fast-file partition.  The old-file
>part. auto mounted, and the fast-file had to be mounted in the s-s.
>
>How can I mount the fast-file partition that has data I need and was
>last used on the A2090A, with my new A2091?
>
>It does not auto-mount.   I have the old mountlist entry but don't
>know what to put for Device = ?

First you should print out the mountlist information that was used by the
2090(A) on the drive for later reference.  Then attach the drive/2091 to the
system and fire up the 2091 install diskette. After you've gotten the
appropriate drive entry setup for the drive, either by selecting one of the
default supported drives or by having the software read the drives parameters
and add it to it's list (refer to the 2091 manual) do the following:

Go into the partition menu and select advance options.
Click on the delete partition gadget to eliminate the default partition
parameters (splits the drive in half).  Enter the partition information by
hand into the advanced options fields for the first partition (slow file
system in your case) and select slow file system for this partitions file
system option. Then click the add partition gadget and enter the FFS
mountlist info into the advanced options fields (second partition).
Make sure that both these patitions are absolutely accurate compared
to the orig. 2090 mountlist and prep info you used to originally setup
the drive before. You should be able to click the graphic partition
bar to two areas that represent the two definitions you made and see
the advanced options partition information change back and forth to these
parameters.  Now select autoboot ON for the FFS partition and OFF for
the SFS partition and go back to the main menu.  Select SAVE partition
information and that will rewrite the reserved cylinders with the hard
blocks information to allow the 2091 to automount all partitions and boot
the desired FFS partition.  This was a rather quick overview of the process
which is outlined in the 2091 manual.

  Stan Fisher -  stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com -  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona   -  Voice (602) 438-3228
  Call our User Group BBS "M.E.C.C.A." running Atredes 1.1 @ (602) 893-0804