[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] REPOST: Overdriving 68030's

In <1990Apr12.204229.7461@aucs.uucp>, 880274d@aucs.uucp (Ralph Doncaster) writes:

>Exactly what is the absolute maximum that you can overdrive a 68030?
>I know that 10% is not unreasonable, but I was wondering if I add a
>heatsink, and a small fan, would I be sure to fry a 33Mhz '030 if I
>ran it at 50Mhz?  I don't care if I risk messing up instructions or anything
>software related, I just want to know how much I can pump the thing
>before I'm sure to loose it.

This is a question that has no real answer. A part marked as a 33MHz chip is
guaranteed to run at 33 MHz, and do it properly. It is not guaranteed to run at
34 or 35 MHz, and there could indeed be chips that would fail at 34. Other
chips may run at 38, or 40, or faster. There is more to it than heat dissipation.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

880274d@aucs.uucp (Ralph Doncaster) (04/13/90)

I posted a question about this a few weeks back, but I never got any mail
from it, and our newsfeed was messed up for a while.

Exactly what is the absolute maximum that you can overdrive a 68030?
I know that 10% is not unreasonable, but I was wondering if I add a
heatsink, and a small fan, would I be sure to fry a 33Mhz '030 if I
ran it at 50Mhz?  I don't care if I risk messing up instructions or anything
software related, I just want to know how much I can pump the thing
before I'm sure to loose it.

|Ralph Doncaster        Don't Steal - The Government hates competition.     |
|880274d@AcadiaU.CA     329 CHI, Acadia University, Wolfville, NS B0P 1X0   |