[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2091 - question re: which FastFileSystem file to use?

In <1990Apr11.032032.12598@uncecs.edu>, paleo@uncecs.edu (Constantine A. LaPasha) writes:

 >Is there a way I can tell (say, using a hex-editor) what version of
 >the FastFileSystem I have, and if I need to get a newer (different?)
 >version.

7> type L:fastfilesystem opt h

0000: 000003F3 00000000 00000001 00000000    ...?............
0010: 00000000 00000BED 000003E9 00000BED    .......?...?...?
0020: 600E5633 362E3033 28352F39 2F383929    `.V36.03(5/9/89)

 >I have tried the above mentioned 3 versions, and a fourth that I'm
 >using on an A1000+stardrive+MiniScribe setup..  They all seem to act the
 >same with Turbo Silver.  (The "HDFIX" provided by Impulse seems to work,
 >but I thought I heard that I should be able to get everything working
 >ok if I had the correct FastFileSystem.)

They could well be the same. The file date is not a reliable indication of the
sameness of two files.

 >(This is in reference to mem location zero problems)

I think that progblem was a result of the driver, not the file system.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

paleo@uncecs.edu (Constantine A. LaPasha) (04/11/90)

Can anyone tell me what version of the FastFileSystem I should be
using on the A2091?  I just got in an A2500/30, and there is a different
date on each copy of the FastFileSystem provided (one on the Quantum
drive, one on the workbench 1.3.2 disk, and one on the A2091 utilities
disk).

Is there a way I can tell (say, using a hex-editor) what version of
the FastFileSystem I have, and if I need to get a newer (different?)
version.

I have tried the above mentioned 3 versions, and a fourth that I'm
using on an A1000+stardrive+MiniScribe setup..  They all seem to act the
same with Turbo Silver.  (The "HDFIX" provided by Impulse seems to work,
but I thought I heard that I should be able to get everything working
ok if I had the correct FastFileSystem.)

Any suggestions woulld be appreciated.

(This is in reference to mem location zero problems)

Kostya LaPasha          paleo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu
==== ... virtually, we can do anything ... ====

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (04/11/90)

In article <1990Apr11.032032.12598@uncecs.edu> paleo@uncecs.edu (Constantine A. LaPasha) writes:

>Can anyone tell me what version of the FastFileSystem I should be
>using on the A2091?  I just got in an A2500/30, and there is a different
>date on each copy of the FastFileSystem provided (one on the Quantum
>drive, one on the workbench 1.3.2 disk, and one on the A2091 utilities
>disk).

I have checked a 1.3.2 disk and the A2091 utilities disk, and they have
the identical (and most recent released) l:FastFileSystem, of size 12248
bytes.  The disks were prepared at different times, so the dates on the two
files are different.

If you run HDToolBox, and select "Partition Drive", then select
"Advanced Options", you will see a selection titled "Add/Update File Systems".
Select that, and you will see the FastFileSystem that has been installed
on your hard disk.  If its size differs from 12248, select "Update File System"
and enter the path and file name of (say) the one on your 1.3.2 disk
(if you put it in df0, enter "df0:l/FastFileSystem" where it says
"Enter name for file system".

>(This is in reference to mem location zero problems)

Memory location zero is left alone by the version shipped on the 1.3.2
Workbench disks.

>--
>Kostya LaPasha          paleo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu
>==== ... virtually, we can do anything ... ====

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com

" Seaman) (04/12/90)

<
< I have tried the above mentioned 3 versions, and a fourth that I'm
< using on an A1000+stardrive+MiniScribe setup..  They all seem to act the
< same with Turbo Silver.  (The "HDFIX" provided by Impulse seems to work,
< but I thought I heard that I should be able to get everything working
< ok if I had the correct FastFileSystem.)
<
< (This is in reference to mem location zero problems)

I have had several people tell me that FastFileSystem was the culprit in
the mem zero problem on the 2091, but I find it very difficult to
believe.  The copy of FastFileSystem on the 2091 installation disk
compares identically to the version from my 1.3.2 upgrade, which I used
for several months on my 2090A.  There was no copy of FastFileSystem
provided on the hard disk, since I purchased the 2091 and a Quantum P105S
separately.  I never had any problems with Turbo until I got my 2091.

What I have found, however, is that there are two tasks started by the
2091, as reported by Xoper 2.2.  I can't remember the names of the tasks
just now (I'm at work), but I suspect that one of these is what is
actually causing the trouble.

Other than this minor problem (and it is minor, since clearing address zero
fixes it, with no ill effects), I am very satisfied with the 2091.  Anyone
considering a hard disk controller should give serious thought to the
2091.

< --
< ===============================================
< Kostya LaPasha          paleo@ecsvax.uncecs.edu
< ==== ... virtually, we can do anything ... ====

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |    ___-/^\-___          qatul batlh.
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           |  //__--\O/--__\\        qatul Huch.

yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) (04/12/90)

In article <10790@cbmvax.commodore.com> peter@cbmvax (Peter Cherna) writes:
+
+I have checked a 1.3.2 disk and the A2091 utilities disk, and they have
+the identical (and most recent released) l:FastFileSystem, of size 12248
+bytes.  The disks were prepared at different times, so the dates on the two
+files are different.
+
Hmmm.  I looked on all of my disks (HardDrive, 1.3.2 WorkBench, and 2091
Installation disk) and all of them have a l:FastFileSystem with size 12248,
as you promised.  However, when I plow through HDToolbox, I find it thinks
that the FastFileSystem has a size of 13596.  Can you say wether this is an
old version?  Where did it come from?  Is this one stored in the 2091's boot
roms?  I don't want to go replacing it, since apparently I can't put it back,
unless I *know* it is outdated!

+     Peter

ken
--
Ken Yarnall                             yarnall@cs.scarolina.EDU
Math Department, USC			yarnall@ucseast.UUCP

steveb@cbmvax.commodore.com (Steve Beats) (04/12/90)

In article <3190@usceast.UUCP> yarnall@usceast.UUCP (Ken Yarnall) writes:
>Hmmm.  I looked on all of my disks (HardDrive, 1.3.2 WorkBench, and 2091
>Installation disk) and all of them have a l:FastFileSystem with size 12248,
>as you promised.  However, when I plow through HDToolbox, I find it thinks
>that the FastFileSystem has a size of 13596.  Can you say wether this is an
>old version?  Where did it come from?  Is this one stored in the 2091's boot
>roms?  I don't want to go replacing it, since apparently I can't put it back,
>unless I *know* it is outdated!

Let`s get this straight once and for all.  The 2091 location 0 bug is caused
by a debug version of the fast filing system.  That version was accidentally
installed on the pre-formatted hard drives (the ones with workbench already
on them).  It is ALSO in the RDSK file which is just an image of the Rigid-
DiskBlocks on the drive.  If you do the quick setup then you`ll get the
buggy FS installed.  You should delete the FastFileSystem that is 13596 bytes
long and replace it with the one in L: on the 1.3.2 Workbench or the A2091
installation disk.  There are NO location zero bugs in the A2091 driver!
--
  _________________
 / __	    __	   \	Commodore/Amiga Inc.	|       This space left

" Seaman) (04/14/90)

<   _________________
<  / __	    __	   \	Commodore/Amiga Inc.	|       This space left
< ( (__'	   |__)	    )	Email:	cbmvax!steveb	|        intentionally
< ( ,__)teve |__)eats )	BIX:	sbeats		|           blank!
<  \_________________/	PHONE:	(215) 431-9100	| 01144 482 824141 (UK phone)

OK, for the record, I did NOT purchase a pre-formatted 2091/Quantum P40S
combo.  I purchased a 2091, and a Quantum P105S SEPARATELY.  The version
of FastFileSystem on my 2091 install disk has the following characteristics:

Size:    12248
Date:    5/8/89
Time:    09:33:20

Typing the file in hex mode shows the following:

"V36.03 (5/9/89)"

I have (several times) tried 'Update File System', as well as 'Delete File
System' and 'Add File System'.  I still have the problem with location 0.
The value that is there is NOT 'GDOS'.  When printed as a long, it shows
184549384.  When printed as a string, the middle two bytes are null, and
the outer two bytes are non-ascii.  Note that this value is the same whether
I boot from my unmodified Workbench 1.3.2 disk, my hard disk, or the
2091 install disk.  Also note that the copy of FastFileSystem on my 2091
matches the copy on my Workbench 1.3.2 disk identically, which was in use
on my 2090A for several months, and never bothered location 0.

I appreciate all the help that has been given, but there is definitely
something else causing this problem.

Chris

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |   o\  /o                See
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           |     ||     "Attack of the Killer Smiley"!