[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] HD Woes: Chapter XXXVIII

bscott@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Ben Scott) (04/14/90)

Well, I'm almost ready to give up.  After two weeks of agony, I finally have
a 230 watt 'baby AT' power supply with the necessary power specs to run the
Priam 738 (for those of you just tuning in, I am in posession of a Priam 738
330 meg SCSI hard drive that my employer bought new for $200 with no docs and
I get to try to set it up).  And it still won't spin up.  At this point, I get
adventurous and begin trying jumper settings at random (there are two rows of
10 pins with no labels, and some spare shorting blocks haning off some of them).
Still no luck.  The drive just clicks when power is applied.

I try hooking it up to my A-590 anyway, and the computer won't boot.  So I try
the following:  Power up both while connected to each other, then disconnect
them, reboot the 500, then reconnect the 590 and the drive while the machine
is booting.  Run the HDTools program, and it hangs while checking the SCSI
addresses (presumably for drives on the bus).  So I can't send any kind of
signal to get it to spin up if that is what's necessary.

I have heard that Priam has been bought by Seagate, so maybe I'll be able to
get technical help someday.  But for now I repeat my plea for definitive info
on the Priam 738; especially jumper settings.  SOMEBODY out there must have
one.  I have considered that the drive is faulty, but before sending it in
for service I want to exhaust all possible alternatives.  Thanks!!

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

BTW:  re my message about differing speeds between hard drives on the 500/1000
and 2000, and using as an example the 590, I KNOW the drive on the 590 is slow
in it's own right; I didn't mean that.  It seems to me that even the same
controllers with the same drives run slower on a 500 than on a 2000, and I'm
trying to find out why.  Thanks anyway all those who sent mail reminding me
of the slow A-590 XT drive.

|  Someday, I'm going to make up a clever .sig file like everyone else has... |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

In article <3546@pikes.Colorado.EDU> bscott@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Ben Scott) writes:
> Well, I'm almost ready to give up.  After two weeks of agony, I finally have
> a 230 watt 'baby AT' power supply with the necessary power specs to run the
> Priam 738 (for those of you just tuning in, I am in posession of a Priam 738
> 330 meg SCSI hard drive that my employer bought new for $200 with no docs and
> I get to try to set it up).  And it still won't spin up.  At this point, I get
> adventurous and begin trying jumper settings at random (there are two rows of
> 10 pins with no labels, and some spare shorting blocks haning off some of
> them.  Still no luck.  The drive just clicks when power is applied.

Be warned that drives bought cheap are often dead or refurbs or not what you
think they are.  You'll probably save a bunch of time if you order some docs
now.  I didn't hear that Priam got bought, lately it's been Imprimis and
Miniscribe.

More general warning: anyone buying drives "cheap" drives via mail order should
take a very defensive attitude and be very sure that they have both the options
to return drives until they get one that works reliabily or get their money
back.   There are a lot of drives going around, some sounding very attractive.
Some are good, many are generic duds, production fallout or refurbs.  If it
doesn't say, ASK!

Oh, you might check over in the comp.periphs.scsi group for real info..