[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] AMIGA too slow for speeds higher than 9600 Baud? HELP!

rob@spirit.kref.sub.org (Roland Bless) (04/11/90)

Hi!

A friend of mine has recently bought a COURIER HST 14.4.
Now he has trouble with his AMIGA-1000 and the HST at speeds higher than
9.600 baud! The Amiga just looses some bytes when receiving data with high
speeds (>9600Bit/s) (it also mixes/doubles data or spits them out too late).

He tested it with different Kickstarts, Workbenchs, serial-devices and
port-handlers. He thought that it is maybe his A-1000, so we tested it with
my AMIGA-2000 (A-2000B Rev4.3, European/PAL-Model, A2058, A2090-ST1096N).
The effects are the same! You can simply test it with a telecommunications-
program and the HST typing "ati4", "ati6" or "ati7" at speeds higher 9.600
Baud (we tested it at 38.400 and 14.400). The results are shown below at the
end of this (long [sorry!]) posting.

We both have WB V34.28 and ARP V39.1. The serial.device is V 34.12, although
it doesn't seem too make any differences. The effect was recognized for the
first time, when he downloaded data with 14.400 Bit/s. Downloading with
9.600 Baud seems to be error-free, but then the AMIGA is no longer
multitasking, because the system is so enormously slowed down. The HST-modem
was tested with a PC-Clone 386SX and worked without any error, so the modem
is not the bug. The problem is the connection between modem <-> computer.

OUR CONCLUSIONS/QUESTIONS:

-- the AMIGA is too slow for such high speeds. :-((( ?!
   (We can't really believe it! EMIT handles rates upto 280000Bit/s(?))

-- is it a SOFTWARE-bug in the serial.device or any other system part. ?

-- is it a HARDWARE-bug ?

-- did we made a simple/dull fault ?

Any suggestions (Commodore crew)?

We're wondering why telecommunication-programs have got gadgets for speeds
upto 57.6kBit/s, when the AMIGA normally can't handle more than 9600?
Naturally, all settings were right, CTS/RTS enabled and so on...
We tested it with JRCOMM V0.94,V0.99j and Platinum Online. It was always
the same. Is there anybody driving his/her AMIGA with more than 9600 Baud?
My friend is so disappointed about the AMIGA that he's going to buy a 386
PC-Clone (no, that's no joke!). I'm shocked, too (I wanted to stick to the
AMIGA, later driving UNIX)! Please help us!

Here the typical test results (they are not normal HST responses..):

Bye,
 Roland

--
R o l a n d   B l e s s | UUCP: rob@spirit.kref.sub.org                       |
Duesseldorf - FRG       | or    rob%spirit@impch.imp.com  (on failure)        |

 >In <Apr.12.13.47.28.1990.7927@pilot.njin.net>, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
 >You asked "why do term program permit high baud-rates when they can't
 >handle them?"  Well, it's because most aren't tested at high baud
 >rates.  Commercial software does get good testing and you'll only see
 >the baud rates listed that they can actually do.  (Oops, I should say
 >"*good* commercial software gets good testing).  If you notice,
 >VT100 2.9A only lists the tested baud rates.  The next version will
 >include 19.2Kbps because I've tested it at that rate.

Well, there's testing and then there's testing, and there's different
conditions... One reason Aterm 7.3.1 has 19,200 and MIDI is because it works at
those speeds, reliably. Of course I would throw in a caveat or two, saying that
it will not handle those rates while printing to screen and having a sustained
data stream arriving. I would aslo recommend that the serial buffer as set in
preferences be at the highest setting available (currently 16K). I might also
have a 'mileage may vary' disclaimer stating that these rates are attainable on
my system, with particular hardware attached (disk controllers, etc.), and
under the conditions I usually run (other tasks, other IO, etc.).

So, not all terminal programs have those rates on the menu just for show or
just because they haven't been tested.

>[comments about ASDG's serial board.. deleted]

I agree. ASDG puts out nice stuff.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

lofaso@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Bernie Lofaso) (04/12/90)

In article <02373.AA02373@spirit.kref.sub.org>, rob@spirit.kref.sub.org (Roland Bless) writes:
> -- the AMIGA is too slow for such high speeds. :-((( ?!
>    (We can't really believe it! EMIT handles rates upto 280000Bit/s(?))
>
> -- is it a SOFTWARE-bug in the serial.device or any other system part. ?
>
> We tested it with JRCOMM V0.94,V0.99j and Platinum Online. It was always

I strongly suspect that it is the terminal programs that you are using that
cannot keep up with the hardware.  Many years ago I used an A1000 as a dumb
terminal and operated it at 19,200 baud.  I tried several terminal programs
before I found one that would operate at that speed, but had no problems
afterward.  Unfortunately, that was about 4 years ago and I don't remember
what I used.  Since I was working for an Amiga retailer part-time back then
it could have been a commercial product or maybe PD.

Bernie Lofaso

smaug@eng.umd.edu (Kurt Lidl) (04/12/90)

In article <02373.AA02373@spirit.kref.sub.org> rob%spirit@impch.imp.com writes:
>Now he has trouble with his AMIGA-1000 and the HST at speeds higher than
>9.600 baud! The Amiga just loses some bytes when receiving data with high
>speeds (>9600Bit/s) (it also mixes/doubles data or spits them out too late).
>
>[much about switching the low-level system drivers, kickstarts, et al]
>
>We're wondering why telecommunication-programs have got gadgets for speeds
>upto 57.6kBit/s, when the AMIGA normally can't handle more than 9600?

It can handle speeds up to 19.2 kbps quite OK.

>We tested it with JRCOMM V0.94,V0.99j and Platinum Online.

Try VT100 v2.9A and see it EVER drops a character.
Try Dnet at 19.2 Kbps and see if it ever fails.  I have used both
of these packages at the above speeds and never had a problem.
I did notice that the Dnet throughput was lower at 38.4 Kbps than at
19.2kps, so there appears to be some sort of interaction at *that*
speed, but nothing lower than that...  Matt didn't have much to say
about the slower rates at 38.4, so I guess he never got around to
fully tuning the software/isolating the bottleneck in the Dnet
code at that speed.

Dnet was under AmigaDOS 1.2 on a B2000, with a 68010.
VT100 under AmigaDOS 1.2 and 1.3, same machine as above.

I seem to remember hearing the Bryce was giving the serial drivers
a work-over for 1.4, or maybe a few too many of my neurons mis-fired
at the wrong time.  Maybe some of the folks at Commodore could
hint if 1.4 will have improved serial driver support...

>R o l a n d   B l e s s | UUCP: rob@spirit.kref.sub.org                       |
--
/* Kurt J. Lidl (smaug@eng.umd.edu) | Unix is the answer, but only if you */
/* UUCP: uunet!eng.umd.edu!smaug    | phrase the question very carefully. */

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (04/13/90)

In article <02373.AA02373@spirit.kref.sub.org> rob@spirit.kref.sub.org (Roland Bless) writes:

[ The Amiga can't handle high baud rates.]

> He tested it with different Kickstarts, Workbenchs, serial-devices and
> port-handlers. He thought that it is maybe his A-1000, so we tested it with
> my AMIGA-2000 (A-2000B Rev4.3, European/PAL-Model, A2058, A2090-ST1096N).

First of all, use AmigaDOS 1.3.  There were improvements to the
serial.device.  Also, just for completeness, you might want to use
AmigaDOS 1.3.2 since it's always nice to be running with the latest
bug-fixes.

You did a pretty good analysis, but you had one big flaw:
You used 2 slow terminal programs.  JRcomm is good, but not at high
speeds.  Platinum Online is a silly little program that is not well
respected.  Try VT100 2.9A (free) or ATalk-III+ (commercial).

You asked "why do term program permit high baud-rates when they can't
handle them?"  Well, it's because most aren't tested at high baud
rates.  Commercial software does get good testing and you'll only see
the baud rates listed that they can actually do.  (Oops, I should say
"*good* commercial software gets good testing).  If you notice,
VT100 2.9A only lists the tested baud rates.  The next version will
include 19.2Kbps because I've tested it at that rate.

So, obviously the question is, "where is the problem?".  Well,
basically the serial.device in pre-1.3 AmigaDOS wasn't so hot, and 1.3
only has a couple improvements.  Commodore has stated that there will
be a new serial.device someday (presumably in 1.4) that will have been
re-written from scratch and will be quite fast.  Obviously the Amiga
can handle it.  It just takes good software.
(I say that because the ASDG serial board doesn't have its own CPU and
they get great results.  Results so good that ASDG posted that it
seems futile to produce a board with a CPU now that they've seen what
a well-matched hardware/software design can do on the Amiga).
[I'm not speaking for ASDG, I'm just a happy customer.]

So, basically the solution is to get better software: (1) get a new
application and (2) get 1.4.  Sadly, you can only do #1 right now.
--
tlimonce@drew.edu      Tom Limoncelli       As seen in USA Today &
tlimonce@drew.uucp     +1 201 408 5389         Rec.Humor.Funny!

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (04/14/90)

In article <02373.AA02373@spirit.kref.sub.org> rob%spirit@impch.imp.com writes:
>Hi!
>
>A friend of mine has recently bought a COURIER HST 14.4.
>Now he has trouble with his AMIGA-1000 and the HST at speeds higher than
>9.600 baud! The Amiga just looses some bytes when receiving data with high
>speeds (>9600Bit/s) (it also mixes/doubles data or spits them out too late).
>
>OUR CONCLUSIONS/QUESTIONS:
>
>-- the AMIGA is too slow for such high speeds. :-((( ?!
>   (We can't really believe it! EMIT handles rates upto 280000Bit/s(?))
Not true.  I'll explain.

>-- is it a SOFTWARE-bug in the serial.device or any other system part. ?
Partly this.

>-- is it a HARDWARE-bug ?
Also, partly this.

>Any suggestions (Commodore crew)?
>
>We're wondering why telecommunication-programs have got gadgets for speeds
>upto 57.6kBit/s, when the AMIGA normally can't handle more than 9600?
>Naturally, all settings were right, CTS/RTS enabled and so on...
>We tested it with JRCOMM V0.94,V0.99j and Platinum Online. It was always
>the same. Is there anybody driving his/her AMIGA with more than 9600 Baud?
>My friend is so disappointed about the AMIGA that he's going to buy a 386
>PC-Clone (no, that's no joke!). I'm shocked, too (I wanted to stick to the
>AMIGA, later driving UNIX)! Please help us!

Well, I just left a message here about it.  I'll just quote it again...

** Begin quote **

The problems stem from a combination of hardware and software.  The
hardware problem is the Paula chip, which implements the serial
interface.  It is slightly dumb; software must calculate parity and
provide the start and stop bits, because Paula provides little more
than a shift register.  The software must also provide the handshaking,
whether XON/XOFF or RTS/CTS (7-wire).

The software problem is from the fact that there are a lot of interrupt
sources in the Amiga, and plenty of requirements for synchronization in
a multi-tasking system.  A typical method of ensuring synchronization,
and I must say it's suitable in most cases, is to disable interrupts so
that a critical process can complete without error.  This can cause
incoming serial characters to be lost when they're coming quickly,
because the serial interrupt was delayed so long that a second character
arrived.

Increasing the size of the serial input buffer will help if your
problems arise because your terminal program task isn't operating
quickly enough to read those characters before the buffer overflows.
This should only happen if you're not using any kind of handshaking,
which is usually the case for binary file transfers.

And, of course (here comes the plug), you can solve your problems by
purchasing an add-on serial card like the one we sell.  We have smarter
hardware.  The serial chip can receive up to 4 characters without being
serviced by the CPU, without losing any data.  The serial chip also
controls the RTS/CTS hardware handshaking itself (XON/XOFF must still be
done in software).  The serial chip calculates parity, start, and stop
bits, it automatically detects break (seldom an issue).  We have run it
as fast as 250,000 baud with hardware handshaking with no data loss.

So give us a call at (703) 330-5353 and we'll set you up with a good
reliable serial board.  We're Checkpoint Technologies, and the board
is the Serial Solution.

** end of quote **

Now this may not your actual problem.  Choosing a faster terminal
program could be all you need.
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (04/14/90)

In article <1990Apr12.133830.17051@eng.umd.edu> smaug@eng.umd.edu (Kurt Lidl)
writes:

   Dnet was under AmigaDOS 1.2 on a B2000, with a 68010.
   VT100 under AmigaDOS 1.2 and 1.3, same machine as above.

But was this with the stock serial port on the 2000 or was it with a serial
expansion board?

David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mt. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

Sullivan@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) (04/15/90)

>** Begin quote **
>
>The problems stem from a combination of hardware and software.  The
>hardware problem is the Paula chip, which implements the serial
>interface.  It is slightly dumb; software must calculate parity and
>provide the start and stop bits, because Paula provides little more
>than a shift register.  The software must also provide the handshaking,
>whether XON/XOFF or RTS/CTS (7-wire).

Hey, this is EXACTLY what I need.  Does anyone know what the maximum
sustained serial output rate is for the PAULA chip w/o start and stop
bits?  (I need to output a serial data stream that is *continuous* ie:
has no start or stop bits, only periodic synch words.)... hmmm.

Btw: just looked in the hardware manual at the description of the output
register and it seems to enforce one start bit.  Oh well.

                           -Sullivan Segall

/V\  Sullivan  was the first to learn how to jump  without moving.
 '   Is it not proper that the student should surpass the teacher?
To Quote the immortal Socrates: "I drank what?" -Sullivan

Mail to: ...sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Sullivan or
         Sullivan@cup.portal.com