[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Amiga 1000 floppy drive compatibility question

ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) (05/01/90)

In article <5407@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> mwf@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (mark.w.forman)
writes:
>... will the internal disk drive on my Amiga 1000 function properly as
>df1: on my Amiga 2000?

Sure, but I don't think it's worth the trouble....

>I have an external drive, but calling it df2: is making me nauseous
>(I'm so used to df1: and don't want to constantly be doing ASSIGNs).

I think that just one ASSIGN in your startup-sequence would probably
be sufficient.  However, the mountlist that comes with 1.3 (and 1.2, I
think) has an entry for calling the first external drive on an A2000
DF1:.  It's described in the Enhancer Manual.

Personally (I know you didn't ask), I rarely use the DFn: drive names
to avoid problems like this.  That's what *volume* names were invented
for.  Makes life much easier, especially when you upgrade to a hard
disk.

>Mark W. Forman (no .sig saves natural computing resources)

-hans
  Hans-Gabriel Ridder			Digital Equipment Corporation
  ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com		Customer Support Center
  ...decwrl!elvira.enet!ridder		Colorado Springs, CO

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (05/01/90)

In article <5407@cbnewsl.ATT.COM: mwf@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (mark.w.forman) writes:
:I have recently been "forced" to upgrade to an Amiga 2000
:(long story).  Before I go about attempting to dismantle
:my Amiga 1000, will the internal disk drive on my Amiga 1000
:function properly as df1: on my Amiga 2000?  I have an external
:drive, but calling it df2: is making me nauseous (I'm so used
:to df1: and don't want to constantly be doing ASSIGNs).  Does
:anyone happen to know off-hand if this is feasible and/or if I
:should even attempt it?

	In most cases, there should be no problem... As long as you
can live with the uglies. :-) Remember that the internal drive in the
1000 doesn't have a front bezel, so you'll end up staring at the guts
of your drive.
	The drives shipped in the first production 1000s (Oct 85-Mar 86
approx.) were taller than the drives shipped in later machines. These
(NEC) drives probably will not fit into the opening in your 2000. If
your machine is that old, look into just buying a standard PC type 720K
drive and installing it. You can find Panasonic JU-363s for around $65
and Chinons for a bit more.

:Mark W. Forman (no .sig saves natural computing resources)

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes