[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] ZIP rams for 2630

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (05/02/90)

Howdy.  Well, I just went out and purchased some ZIP rams.  Now I have
run into a problem.  The ZIPs that I got have a pin missing in every chip
I don't mean missing as in broken, it just seems as though they are different
somehow than the ones that are already on my 2630.  Do you know whether or
not the NEC ZIPs on the 2630 have a dummy pin (or a ground), or do you know
what the deal is with my ZIPs?  Also, would it be alright to solder ZIP
sockets?  If so, where can I get good (hopefully cheap), ZIP sockets?

I saw a 3000 today.  Was sorely tempted to steal it.
Honesty does have its downside 8-)  I read a few of the things you were
discussing about it.  There was much discussion on the 040.  Does this mean
that we're going to have YAKA (Yet Another Killer Amiga) on the way? 8-)

			Thanks, Ralph Seguin

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@goliath.eecs.umich.edu   Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin               |  In order to get infinitely many monkeys to type
11010 Lighthouse Dr. #234  | something that actually makes sense, you need to
Belleville, MI 48111       | have infinitely many monkey editors as well.
(313) 697-1048

In article <2138@zipeecs.umich.edu> gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:

> Howdy.  Well, I just went out and purchased some ZIP rams.  Now I have
> run into a problem.  The ZIPs that I got have a pin missing in every chip

The 1M DRAM pinouts have an "unused pin", that would be the next address line
for 4M DRAMs.  Apparently some vendors have decided to physically omit the
pin in their ZIP packaging.

>                                  Also, would it be alright to solder ZIP
> sockets?  If so, where can I get good (hopefully cheap), ZIP sockets?

Sockets are one of the downsides of ZIPs.  The legs are mechanically much
more flexible than DIPs, and it's very easy to bend the legs instead of
getting them to go into sockets.  Several vendors offer a range of sockets
from (relatively) cheap single-wipe designs to the "screw machine" type.