[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] The A3000 and the non-custom chips

mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) (05/03/90)

Now that the A3000 is upon us, can anyone tell me what the E-clock rate is?
Also, is that the signal being fed to the CIA chips to provide clock pulses,
or is the CIA chip clock something else again?

  -dave

In article <11577@netcom.UUCP> mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) writes:
> Now that the A3000 is upon us, can anyone tell me what the E-clock rate is?
> Also, is that the signal being fed to the CIA chips to provide clock pulses,
> or is the CIA chip clock something else again?

The E-clock is the same old 715Khz that it's always been, however it's being
generated by the bus control logic instead of the processor chip (no e-clock
on the 030).  This preserves software compatibility at the expense of a few
wait states when doing 8520 accesses.

In article <11577@netcom.UUCP> mcmahan@netcom.UUCP (Dave Mc Mahan) writes:
>Now that the A3000 is upon us, can anyone tell me what the E-clock rate is?
>Also, is that the signal being fed to the CIA chips to provide clock pulses,
>or is the CIA chip clock something else again?

The E clock rate is the same, mainly for compatibility reasons.  The E clock,
such as it is, remains part of the expansion bus specification as well.  The
CIA chips can use the E clock as the timebase for some of their counters,
though each gets fed an alternate timebase as well; one gets the horizontal
sync line, the other gets the 50Hz/60Hz line frequency.

There are no longer actual signals corresponding to the 68000 /VPA or /VMA
lines anywhere in the 3000; the CIAs are driven directly by the Fat Gary
chip.

>  -dave

	"I have been given the freedom to do as I see fit" -REM