[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Zorro III in Zorro II: Would it work?

murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) (05/02/90)

Andy Hartman's search for a RAM expansion board made me think of the following
question.

Since a Zorro III board is pin compatible with Zorro II, would/could a Zorro III
board be designed to work under both Z3 and Z2 specifications?

Stupid question? Maybe, but wouldn't it be nice to use the same board in either
a 2000 or a 3000?  We already know that a Z2 will work in Z3 so long as it is
designed correctly.  Why not the reverse?
--
Bill Murphy                                  | Zaphod, Vell he's just zis
murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu             |         guy you know.

In article <3631@newton.physics.purdue.edu> murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (William J. Murphy) writes:
>Since a Zorro III board is pin compatible with Zorro II, would/could a Zorro III
>board be designed to work under both Z3 and Z2 specifications?

It is additional work and logic, but it can be done.  In some cases, it may
make sense, in other cases, it may not ("Whaddya mean you put that 32 megabyte
memory board into your 2000!").

In any case, Zorro III boards are required to act intelligently in a Zorro II
backplane.  If they can't act as a Zorro II board, they much magically disappear
so as to allow any additional Zorro II boards to be correctly configured.

>Bill Murphy                                  | Zaphod, Vell he's just zis

	"I have been given the freedom to do as I see fit" -REM