[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000 case

space@ncc1701.sub.org (Lars Soltau) (05/03/90)

In article <11214@cbmvax.commodore.com> peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:
>I must tell our case designers not to do such a good job next time,
>it's confusing everybody!

Yeah. I'm confused. I'm confused that there are still people who consider a
desktop case appropriate for their top-of-the-line model.

Can you give me one good reason why you didn't put the A3000 in a good,
professional tower case? With enough room for my full-height SCSI drive,
currently sitting on top of my A2000, which in turn is mounted beneath the
desk, on its side. With enough slots to please everyone. With nothing
consuming space on my already cluttered desktop but the keyboard, the monitor
and the mouse. With the fan and the drive making their noise beneath the desk,
where it doesn't bother anyone. Shall I continue?

--
Lars Soltau    bang:  <insert ridiculously long path here>   BIX: --no bucks--
               smart: space@ncc1701.stgt.sub.org

In article <338@ncc1701.sub.org> space@ncc1701.sub.org (Lars Soltau) writes:
> In article <11214@cbmvax.commodore.com> peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) writes:
> >I must tell our case designers not to do such a good job next time,
> >it's confusing everybody!
>
> Yeah. I'm confused. I'm confused that there are still people who consider a
> desktop case appropriate for their top-of-the-line model.
>
> Can you give me one good reason why you didn't put the A3000 in a good,
> professional tower case? With enough room for my full-height SCSI drive,
> currently sitting on top of my A2000, which in turn is mounted beneath the
> desk, on its side. With enough slots to please everyone.

one good reason:	$

Tower cases and power supplies big enough for "enough slots and drive bays
to please everyone" are fairly expensive.  Having these features has some
positive effect on the attractiveness of the system, having a higher pricetag
has an (arguably) greater negative effect.  We want to sell a lot of these
'030 based systems and having a very competitive base model price/performance
ratio seems like a reasonable starting point.

I personally like lots of room for drives and slots, but given the built
in expansion stuff and things like > 100M-byte 3.5" half-height drives,
I could probably manage to live with the A3000 configuration.

dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) (05/04/90)

In article <338@ncc1701.sub.org> space@ncc1701.sub.org (Lars Soltau) writes:
>Can you give me one good reason why you didn't put the A3000 in a good,
>professional tower case?
>Lars Soltau    bang:  <insert ridiculously long path here>   BIX: --no bucks--
>               smart: space@ncc1701.stgt.sub.org
Someone else has already mentioned price.  If this is really wanted, I'm
sure some enterprising company (any takers?) will come out with a tower
that you can put your A3000 into and have just what you want.  There are
many companies that are doing this for the IBM PC market and I bet any
one of them could do the same for the A3000.  One of the companies that makes
orro II cages for the A500 could probably put together a nice tower
configuration.  Just think, they could have options so you could put anything
you want inside: A500, A2000, A3000.  Maybe even an A1000.

-- dan watts
# CompuServe: >INTERNET:uunet.UU.NET!ki!dwatts    Dan Watts         #
# UUCP      : ...!uunet!ki!dwatts                 Ki Research, Inc. #
############### New Dimensions In Network Connectivity ##############

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (05/05/90)

In article <338@ncc1701.sub.org> space@ncc1701.sub.org (Lars Soltau) writes:
>Can you give me one good reason why you didn't put the A3000 in a good,
>professional tower case? With enough room for my full-height SCSI drive,
>currently sitting on top of my A2000, which in turn is mounted beneath the
>desk, on its side. With enough slots to please everyone. With nothing
>consuming space on my already cluttered desktop but the keyboard, the monitor
>and the mouse. With the fan and the drive making their noise beneath the desk,
>where it doesn't bother anyone. Shall I continue?

How about...
               .... < $4000 for the top of the line model? (more sales)

How about...
               ... modular backplane so a tower configuration
                   could use the same motherboard...

How about...
               ...focusing resources to make a deadline sometimes
                  means you get the baseline out the door, then
                  worry about things like this tower config. later
                  (just my guess, plus rumors that a tower is
                  in the works).

...shall I continue?

PS - you can't please everyone all the time, especially right at
     the introduction of a new product.  Maybe they were trying
     to please as many as they can, and most people don't have a
     need, nor want to pay for, more than four slots.  That doesn't
     at all preclude a follow-on with more slots.

--
--Steve      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own (I don't speak for Convex)
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

space@ncc1701.sub.org (Lars Soltau) (05/05/90)

In article <11313@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <338@ncc1701.sub.org> space@ncc1701.sub.org (Lars Soltau) writes:
>> Can you give me one good reason why you didn't put the A3000 in a good,
>> professional tower case?
>
>one good reason:       $
>
>Tower cases and power supplies big enough for "enough slots and drive bays
>to please everyone" are fairly expensive.  Having these features has some
>positive effect on the attractiveness of the system, having a higher pricetag
>has an (arguably) greater negative effect.  We want to sell a lot of these
>'030 based systems and having a very competitive base model price/performance
>ratio seems like a reasonable starting point.

OK, I can see your point. But wouldn't it be possible to offer the machine in
a tower case, too? Can you say A3500? I knew you could! :-)

I for one would be willing to pay, say $500 or so more to get a tower case with
a bigger power supply and more slots/drive bays. I consider it a serious flaw
if I can only mount 3.5" drives into a case.

There are some vendors here in Germany who offer tower versions of the A2500.
If they can do it, Commodore should be able to do it, too. I definitely think
that there exists a market for those things.

--
Lars Soltau    bang:  <insert ridiculously long path here>   BIX: --no bucks--
               smart: space@ncc1701.stgt.sub.org

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (05/05/90)

Not that I'm against a tower unit and more expandability, but if you have room
enough on your desk for your monitor, I doubt if you'd notice that the 3000 was
underneath it....it really is quite small and very quiet....

Nothing would stop CBM from coming out with a tower case version...What does
one say about having a Sun on their desk???.... :)
+--------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

In <344@ncc1701.sub.org>, space@ncc1701.sub.org (Lars Soltau) writes:
>In article <11313@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
>>In article <338@ncc1701.sub.org> space@ncc1701.sub.org (Lars Soltau) writes:
>>> Can you give me one good reason why you didn't put the A3000 in a good,
>>> professional tower case?
>>
>>one good reason:       $
>>
>>Tower cases and power supplies big enough for "enough slots and drive bays
>>to please everyone" are fairly expensive.  Having these features has some
>>positive effect on the attractiveness of the system, having a higher pricetag
>>has an (arguably) greater negative effect.  We want to sell a lot of these
>>'030 based systems and having a very competitive base model price/performance
>>ratio seems like a reasonable starting point.
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                ^^^^^^^^

>OK, I can see your point. But wouldn't it be possible to offer the machine in
>a tower case, too? Can you say A3500? I knew you could! :-)

Yes it would be reasonable. What is not reasonable is to expect a company to
come out with every possible physical configuration all at once.

Look folks, CBM has intro'd a very capable and useful machine. They have not
said that it is the last of the Amiga line. They have not stopped development.
If you don't like what you see so far, make your wishes known and wait for the
next announcement. It serves no purpose to say that the 3000 'should have been'
something else. It isn't. It is what it is, as is the 500, 2000, 2500/xx, etc.

-larry

--
NeXT. The hardware makes it a PC. The software makes it a workstation.
      The units shipped makes it a mainframe.  -=stolen from Hazy=-

perley@galaxy (Donald P Perley) (05/07/90)

In article <90125.111311LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET>, LDSHANER@MTUS5 (Leon D. Shaner) writes:
>Not that I'm against a tower unit and more expandability, but if you have room
>enough on your desk for your monitor, I doubt if you'd notice that the 3000 was
>underneath it....it really is quite small and very quiet....
>
>Nothing would stop CBM from coming out with a tower case version...What does
>one say about having a Sun on their desk???.... :)

Actually, the same thing..  Too big, too noisy. a tower case model would
probably have an even noiser fan.  Not having a tower model didn't stop me
from putting the sun cpu box behind the desk though.

-don perley
perley@trub.crd.ge.com