[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000/de-interlacer

schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) (05/06/90)

In article <1990Apr26.003754.13905@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rlcarr@space.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) writes:
>Questions to CBM folks:

According to the CBM folks at the Amiga World convention last week I can
answer some of these questions.

>1) Will the de-interlacer chip in the A3000 be available for the A2000/2500?

    NO. I was kind of upset about this myself. The new 2.0 OS has a
	"productivity mode" which will eliminate flicker without the
	de-interlacer chip, but if you do have a multisync monitor.

>2) Does the de-interlacer chip in the A3000 do everything the flickerFixer
>   does?  Does it properly buffer frames (i.e. no object splitting during
>   rapid movement)?

    YES. YES.

>3) Will there be any sort of educational discount for the A3000?
>4) Will there be any trade-in for A2000's?

    They wouldn't discuss these questions at this time.

>5) Will 16-bit memory boards (like a Supra, say) work in the A3000?
>6) How much CHIP RAM, 16-bit RAM, and 32-bit RAM can be autoconfigured?
>   DMAed to?  Addressed?

			     \          /
			      \   \    /      /
Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
				\   \/      /
USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
Plink: OSS259				\/

peg@psuecl.bitnet (PAUL E. GANTER) (05/06/90)

In article <13300@venera.isi.edu>, schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:

> According to the CBM folks at the Amiga World convention last week I can
> answer some of these questions.
>
>>1) Will the de-interlacer chip in the A3000 be available for the A2000/2500?
>
>     NO. I was kind of upset about this myself. The new 2.0 OS has a
>       "productivity mode" which will eliminate flicker without the
>       de-interlacer chip, but if you do have a multisync monitor.

You might be wrong.  Amiga World says on page 22 of June issue:

  "In addition, it contains a built-in display enhancer (which,
   reportedly, will sell separately in the future) comparable
   to MicroWay's flickerFixer...."

AW could of course be wrong, but it seems they were probably told
something.  Any comments Commodore?

Looking at pictures of the motherboard, it looks like the scan-doubler
is one VLSI (called Amber) and a couple of RAMs.  If that is all it
takes, it seems C-A could give 2000 owners a de-interlacer at a
*very* reasonable price--much more reasonable than the flickerFixer.
The cynic in me says I am dreaming, of course.  Unfortunately, it
is usually right ;-)

--Paul

slfields@uokmax.uucp (Scott L Fields) (05/08/90)

In article <13300@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>In article <1990Apr26.003754.13905@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> rlcarr@space.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) writes:
>>Questions to CBM folks:
>>3) Will there be any sort of educational discount for the A3000?
>>4) Will there be any trade-in for A2000's?
>
>    They wouldn't discuss these questions at this time.

Well, just to be cheap. I wonder if there will be a 2000 trade-in with an
educational discount added to it.