[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] amiga 1000 problems with serial and parallel ports

a808@mindlink.UUCP (David R. Matthews) (05/06/90)

I wonder if you have cable problems? Are you using the same printer cable for
the 1000 that you use on the 500? The 1000 needs a totally different cable for
it's printer.
You might have a similar problem for your modem, you can get away with just
pins 2 3 7 and 20 for both computers (one would need a gender bender).

hitt@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Daniel Hitt) (05/06/90)

I bought a used amiga 1000 and have some problems with the serial and
parallel ports.

With the serial port, the computer doesn't seem to know how to use
it---i.e., when i try to use software which works on my amiga 500 to
run a modem, i get a software error message.  Could this problem be
due to an old version of the kickstart disk?  (I.e., does one need
a version 1.2 kickstart disk as opposed to a 1.1 version kickstart
disk?)

With the parallel port, when i tried to start the computer with the
printer hooked up, it wouldn't start (i.e., it wouldn't give me
the insert kickstart disk prompt).  After disconnecting the printer,
it was willing to start.  The printer works fine on my 500.

I'd appreciate any advice or pointers anybody might care to post or
e-mail to me.

dan

slfields@uokmax.uucp (Scott L Fields) (05/08/90)

In article <1990May6.035033.6402@Neon.Stanford.EDU> hitt@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Daniel Hitt) writes:
>I bought a used amiga 1000 and have some problems with the serial and
>parallel ports.
>
>With the serial port, the computer doesn't seem to know how to use
>it---i.e., when i try to use software which works on my amiga 500 to
>run a modem, i get a software error message.  Could this problem be
>due to an old version of the kickstart disk?  (I.e., does one need
>a version 1.2 kickstart disk as opposed to a 1.1 version kickstart
>disk?)
>
>With the parallel port, when i tried to start the computer with the
>printer hooked up, it wouldn't start (i.e., it wouldn't give me
>the insert kickstart disk prompt).  After disconnecting the printer,
>it was willing to start.  The printer works fine on my 500.
>
>I'd appreciate any advice or pointers anybody might care to post or
>e-mail to me.
>
>dan

I don't mean to sound like a smart-ass but are you using the same cables
that you use on your 500 with your 1000. If so that is %99 what the problem
must be. The connectors are reversed on a 1000 and if you connect your serial
cable to the parallel port and vice versa You are mostlikely shorting a
power supply pin and keeping the machine from booting up. It's something
to check. Hope that is some help to you.