[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 2 Meg Chip ram on 2000

fineberg@wums.wustl.edu (05/07/90)

Hello everyone,
  In catching up with this exciting couple of weeks postings, I've come up
with a question which I think hasn't been asked yet.  ECS supports up to 2
Meg of chip ram.  Will I be able to say, piggy back ram on my 2000 to allow
my 2000 to have 2 Meg Chip Ram when I upgrade to ECS?  Just exploring every
opportunity...
	Charlie			  BITNET: FINEBERG@WUMS
				internet: fineberg@wums2.wustl.edu

In article <3569.26446b2a@wums.wustl.edu> fineberg@wums.wustl.edu writes:
> Hello everyone,
>   In catching up with this exciting couple of weeks postings, I've come up
> with a question which I think hasn't been asked yet.  ECS supports up to 2
> Meg of chip ram.  Will I be able to say, piggy back ram on my 2000 to allow
> my 2000 to have 2 Meg Chip Ram when I upgrade to ECS?  Just exploring every
> opportunity...

The A2000 answer is "not without a considerable amount of hacking" - The Agnus
2M-byte pinout lends itself towards 16 1Mx1 DRAM or 4 1Mx4 chips.  Making it
work with smaller DRAM is a pain.

phupp@warwick.ac.uk (S Millington) (05/08/90)

In article <11411@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax (George Robbins) writes:

>The A2000 answer is "not without a considerable amount of hacking" - The Agnus
>2M-byte pinout lends itself towards 16 1Mx1 DRAM or 4 1Mx4 chips.  Making it
>work with smaller DRAM is a pain.

     Is it then safe to assume, probably not, that revision 6a boards have
been modified during the redesign to make thie easier? Or does the fact
that they use 256x4 chips say it all about CBM's foresight?

* Stuart Millington             * "A Mind Is A Terrible Thing, Remember *
*                               *  That." - David Bryan, Bon Jovi       *
*    ? :phupp%warwick.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk                          *