[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000 Memory question

rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) (05/08/90)

Can the A3000 be expanded to 3MB by just adding another 1MB of DIPs in
the chip slot?  In other words, is have 2MB of Chip memory mutually
exclusive with the 1MB of DIP fast memory?  A related question, if you
can indeed have 3MB of DIP RAM chips, is the DIP fast RAM mutually
exclusive with the ZIP memory?  The point of all this is that I would
like to have more then 2MB of memory, but after I shell out all the
$$$ for a 3000, I'm going to be hurting for cash, so I'm NOT going to
have enough to get lots of RAM that I'de have to get rid of when I
eventually get enough $$$ to get ZIPs.

//     Rick Golembiewski  rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu  \\
\\       #include stddisclaimer.h               //
 \\  "I never respected a man who could spell" //
  \\               -M. Twain                  //

bbaker@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Baker) (05/08/90)

In article <saFXDMO00WB4FCpWJg@andrew.cmu.edu> rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) writes:

> Can the A3000 be expanded to 3MB by just adding another 1MB of DIPs in
> the chip slot?  In other words, is have 2MB of Chip memory mutually
> exclusive with the 1MB of DIP fast memory?  A related question, if you
> can indeed have 3MB of DIP RAM chips, is the DIP fast RAM mutually
> exclusive with the ZIP memory?  The point of all this is that I would
> like to have more then 2MB of memory, but after I shell out all the
> $$$ for a 3000, I'm going to be hurting for cash, so I'm NOT going to
> have enough to get lots of RAM that I'de have to get rid of when I
> eventually get enough $$$ to get ZIPs.

Yes you can expand the A3000 to 3MB by just adding another MB of DIPs in
chip memory slot. FastMemory and ChipMemory are totally separate.
However, the DIP MB of FastMemory supplied on the board is mutually
exclusive of the first MB of ZIP FastMemory. You could theoretically add
additional ZIP memory skipping the first MB already populated with the
DIPs but this would not yield the optimum performance. Ideally you would
move the Fast DIP memory to Chip space and populate the ZIP Fast Memory.
You do not need to fully populate the ZIP space, you can add memory in
1MB increments.

- Bob

joe@cbmvax.commodore.com (Joe O'Hara - Product Assurance) (05/08/90)

In article <11433@cbmvax.commodore.com> bbaker@cbmvax (Bob Baker) writes:
>In article <saFXDMO00WB4FCpWJg@andrew.cmu.edu> rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) writes:
>>
>> Can the A3000 be expanded to 3MB by just adding another 1MB of DIPs in
>> the chip slot?  In other words, is have 2MB of Chip memory mutually
>> exclusive with the 1MB of DIP fast memory?  A related question, if you
>> can indeed have 3MB of DIP RAM chips, is the DIP fast RAM mutually
>> exclusive with the ZIP memory?  The point of all this is that I would
>> like to have more then 2MB of memory, but after I shell out all the
>> $$$ for a 3000, I'm going to be hurting for cash, so I'm NOT going to
>> have enough to get lots of RAM that I'de have to get rid of when I
>> eventually get enough $$$ to get ZIPs.
>

>Yes you can expand the A3000 to 3MB by just adding another MB of DIPs in
>chip memory slot. FastMemory and ChipMemory are totally separate.
>However, the DIP MB of FastMemory supplied on the board is mutually
>exclusive of the first MB of ZIP FastMemory. You could theoretically add
>additional ZIP memory skipping the first MB already populated with the
>DIPs but this would not yield the optimum performance. Ideally you would
>move the Fast DIP memory to Chip space and populate the ZIP Fast Memory.
>You do not need to fully populate the ZIP space, you can add memory in
>1MB increments.

Please note, however, that the 256x4 DIP fast memory is not compatible with
1024x4 ZIPs. You can't mix the two sizes in the fast ram section. If you
are contemplating expanding with the larger ZIPs (a pretty expensive option
at the moment) then you would probably wish to move the fast DIPs to the
chip section.
  Joe O'Hara                ||      Disclaimer: I didn't say that!
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||
  Product Assurance         || "I never lie when I have sand in my shoes."
  Systems Evaluation Group  ||             - Geordi LeForge, Star Trek TNG