Just curious : how will the 68030 & 68882 @ 25 MHz compare (performance
wise; dhrystones, whetstones, MIPS, etc.) with a 80486 @ 25 MHz with a
reasonably sized cache ?

	fred

In article <1990May2.223658.24827@watdragon.waterloo.edu> grwalter@uwaterloo.ca (Fred Walter) writes:
>Just curious : how will the 68030 & 68882 @ 25 MHz compare (performance
>wise; dhrystones, whetstones, MIPS, etc.) with a 80486 @ 25 MHz with a
>reasonably sized cache ?

The 486 is roughly a tad less than twice the speed of the 68030, integer
wise, at the same clock speed.  For floating point it's noticably better
than twice as fast.

The 68040 is expected to be closer to three times the 68030 integer speed,
and up to ten times faster at floating point.

>	fred

	"I have been given the freedom to do as I see fit" -REM

daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>The 486 is roughly a tad less than twice the speed of the 68030, integer
>wise, at the same clock speed.  For floating point it's noticably better
>than twice as fast.

>The 68040 is expected to be closer to three times the 68030 integer speed,
>and up to ten times faster at floating point.

A friend and I were doing some mixed up math on the above figures and here is
what we got :-)

If 1 040 = 3 030s and 1 486 = 2 030's, then

1 a 68040 based Amiga would equal 1 486 based clone with an Amiga 3000 thrown
in to help it out.

Depending on the relative clock speeds of course.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 2400bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP |                                     | PH: (502) 968-DISK