[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GVP Hard Drive Problems

ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS) (05/07/90)

    To those who have problems with their GVP Impact A500 drives:

	I saw my dealer, and took my machine and drive there. With my setup,
the machine gurued (as usual) on VLTjr. However, when I put the drive on the
dealer's computer, it worked perfectly! It indicates that there is PROBABLY
not a problem with the SIMMS.

	I showed the dealer some of the previous responses. He tended to agree
with the possibility of excessive bus noise on some machines. He had a Rev 6a
machine (I don't know what mine is - I'll try to find out tomorrow). He tried
to set up another drive, but didn't have any SIMMS. He had rang GVP direct, who
said that they hadn't heard of the problem. He will investigate the problem
further, and will do a memory check (a program from another prouduct, which is
a memory board) soon.

	Sorry about having no solution. Could ALL those who have problems with
their drive send me info about themselves. Include external devices, memory,
Rev. of board (if possible, otherwise a date of purchase), programs that don't
work (and whether they run when the fast ram is disabled) etc. I just want to
examine the data, and try to find a common link. Also mention if your drive
has the 2Mb board or the 4Mb board (and how much is populated). E-mail
course you will get a summary! Also, send any so-called "fixes" that you reckon
solved your problem. It may help (or actually provide the answer!).

	A note to all those who live in the North-West suburbs of Melbourne -
can you tell me who you are? I would like to test my drive on your machine.
You also get a complete demo of the drive for free as well! You don't have to
have any particular config. - just a plain A500 will do.

					Ian

P.S. This dealer mentioned, as an aside, that Commodore DOES NOT SUPPORT 1Mb
     chip ram 500's. Can somebody from Commodore say something about it?

Ian Rowlands                      | ianr@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (main)
Dept. of Electrical Engineering,  | ianr@gondwana.ecr.mu.oz.au
 (including Computer Science)     | ianr@munmurra.cs.mu.oz.au (to 7/90)
University of Melbourne           | (How can you have a funny quote in only 4 li

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (05/09/90)

In article <3924@munnari.oz.au> ianr@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Ian ROWLANDS) writes:
>[Problems with GVP Impact A500 memory expansion]
>[My dealer] rang GVP direct, who said that they hadn't heard of the problem.

They have now.  Two weeks ago I sent my drive back to them for replacement.  I
included a detailed description of my problem and the steps I took to correct
it.  I also included relevant postings from comp.sys.amiga and c.s.a.hardware.
I fear the new unit won't fix the problem; I smell design flaw.  There is quite
a number of us who have the same problem, which indicates it's not just a
fluke.  I'll post when my replacement drive gets here.  (Should be about a week
yet, they're out of 40Meg Quantum drives at the moment.)

--
Vengeance is counter-productive.  Not to mention   | Steve King  (708) 991-8056