[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000 agnus

dougp@voodoo.ucsb.edu (05/07/90)

-Message-Text-Follows-
In article <11220@cbmvax.commodore.com>, daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes...
>It's a different Agnus, externally at least.  The ECS Agnus, which is in
>all new 500s and 2000s, is internally the same Agnus as in the 3000.
>But it's a bonding option as to whether you want a 1 Meg part that's pin
>compatible with the original Fat Agnus, or a 2 Meg part that isn't.

Just how different are the pinouts of the two Agnus chips? Is it just a
matter of two or three pins, or is it a compleatly different package?
Could we buy a Rejuvinator, make a few cuts and jumps, and stack ram
chips and have a two meg chip ram A1000 or will the Rejuvinator need
to be relaid out?

I have no affiliation to the people who make the Rejuvinator, I just
wan't to know if I can buy now and hack later or if I must buy later.

>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"

Douglas Peale

In article <5124@hub.ucsb.edu> dougp@voodoo.ucsb.edu writes:
> In article <11220@cbmvax.commodore.com>, daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes...
>
> Just how different are the pinouts of the two Agnus chips? Is it just a
> matter of two or three pins, or is it a compleatly different package?
> Could we buy a Rejuvinator, make a few cuts and jumps, and stack ram
> chips and have a two meg chip ram A1000 or will the Rejuvinator need
> to be relaid out?

Several pins are defined differently.  The ease of hacking the alternate
pinout into an existing design depends mostly on how easy it is to chew
up the connections between Agnus and the DRAM array and insert additional
logic and/or make connections to an external DRAM array.

You'd have to talk to the Rejuvinator people about their plans/position
in this respect.