[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Autoconfiging a Spirit Inboard-500

smc8516@ultb.isc.rit.edu (S.M. Curtin) (05/03/90)

I have a fully populated (1.5mb) Spirit Inboard-500 on my machine. One
of the drawbacks of it is that it will not autoconfig when addressed at
any other place than $c00000 (where things seem to autoconfig
naturally.)I have a 501 residing there, however, so until I get a new
agnus, I cannot address my SpritBoard at that location.

I would like to know if it would be possible, perhaps with the addition
of just a few extra logic chips, to make the board autoconfig. I've
already changed the address decoding on it so it resides at $200000
instead of $800000. This, however, did not help the situation. I still
have to addmem, just now at $200000. What does autoconfiguring entail,
from both the hardware and software ends? If doing it via hardware would
be too difficult, could a program be written that would "wedge" in so
that while the board wouldn't autoconfigure on power-up, the wedge
program would sense a warm reboot, and perform the necessary
configuration? There are some programs (esp. games) which jump right
past the dos screen and thus don't allow me to addmem.

This is a situation I would love to remedy either by hardware or
software. I am an avid hardware hacker andenjoy software hacking as
well. (Thus solutions don't have to be pretty.) I still don't have
enough literature on the lower level OS stuff to do this on my
own,however. (Just what is the difference between AddConfigDev, and
ConfigBoard anyway? All I know is that AddConfigDev will crash the
machine if you don't ConfigBoard beforehand.)

ANY help greatly appreciated. Please post replies if Email doesn't work.
I've never gotten mail on this machine so I don't know what to expect.

Thanks...
Sean Curtin.

In article <3005@ultb.isc.rit.edu> smc8516@ultb.isc.rit.edu (S.M. Curtin) writes:
> I have a fully populated (1.5mb) Spirit Inboard-500 on my machine. One
> of the drawbacks of it is that it will not autoconfig when addressed at
> any other place than $c00000 (where things seem to autoconfig
> naturally.)I have a 501 residing there, however, so until I get a new
> agnus, I cannot address my SpritBoard at that location.

> I would like to know if it would be possible, perhaps with the addition
> of just a few extra logic chips, to make the board autoconfig.

The essentials of Auto-config are described in the A1000 expansion architecture
manual and duplicated (less examples) in the A500/A2000 technical reference
manual.

Basically, you'll need a PAL or two and some TTL circuity.  I'd expect it
to be much easier (but perhaps less fun) to simply use an ECS Agnus chip.