[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 2000 with fatter Agnus, how visible is it ?

tom@parcom.nl (Tom van Peer) (05/08/90)

Can anyone please tell me how it is visible from the box that a 2000 contains
a fatter Agnus ?  I'd hate to buy one and then, after switching it on,
find out I got *&%$ed with a piece of 'antique'.  Can it be read from a serial
or something like that ?  Most sales persons here think that you think that
there is a little thick man inside the machine when you ask about it.
Thanks in advance.

Tom van Peer.
Parallel Computing, Amsterdam.
+31-20-233274
E-mail: tom@parcom.nl or (for the older people) ...!hp4nl!prcmuu

lshaw@walt.cc.utexas.edu (logan shaw) (05/09/90)

In article <206@parcom.parcom.nl> tom@parcom.nl (Tom van Peer) writes:
>Can anyone please tell me how it is visible from the box that a 2000 contains
>a fatter Agnus ?  I'd hate to buy one and then, after switching it on,
>find out I got *&%$ed with a piece of 'antique'.  Can it be read from a serial
>or something like that ?  Most sales persons here think that you think that
>there is a little thick man inside the machine when you ask about it.
>Thanks in advance.

A really handy little program called ARTM - Amiga real time monitor - will
let you check all kinds of things like that.  Just click the "hardware"
gadget to see which agnus (and processor and Denise) is installed.
It is available on Fred Fish disk #327.  I believe there is also a program on
the NewTek DemoReel 3 disk which checks your Agnus, but I don't know whether
they want people distributing it alone.

All of this, of course, is assuming you can run software on the machine you're
looking at.
"The machine minded material man                    Logan Shaw
 desperately dreams of a brand new sedan.           lshaw@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
 Wlll he expect long lasting gain                   ========================
 from a toy that will race then rust in the rain?" - elim Hall, Things Break

In article <206@parcom.parcom.nl> tom@parcom.nl (Tom van Peer) writes:
> Can anyone please tell me how it is visible from the box that a 2000 contains
> a fatter Agnus ?  I'd hate to buy one and then, after switching it on,
> find out I got *&%$ed with a piece of 'antique'.  Can it be read from a serial
> or something like that ?  Most sales persons here think that you think that
> there is a little thick man inside the machine when you ask about it.

Theoretically, A2000's with the new Agnus chip have a sticker on the
box that says "1M-byte Chip Memory" or something along those lines.

rosenber@ra.abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg INF) (05/09/90)

>Can anyone please tell me ho it1 is visible from the box that a 2000 contains
>a fatter Agnus ?  I'd hate to buy one and then, after switching it on,

Since it is a 2000 it ha 1 Meg on board and assuming it is correctly
installed, just run AVAIL from the CLI. It should show 1
million+something (in the Maximum column in the chip row.

Robin