[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 3000 slots

In <1742@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>Do the cards lie sideways in the 3000?
>
>If they do lie sideways, what is done about heat buildup? will the fan keep them
>cool enough?

Yes, they lie sideways. I can't speak for a fully loaded machine, but I am
currently running an ASDG 8 meg memory board with 2 megs populated, and it runs
plenty cool enough. Running the same cnfiguration without the top cover on
results in the memory board and the motherboard chips heating up, so it sure
looks like the cooling is done right.

-larry

--
NeXT. The hardware makes it a PC. The software makes it a workstation.
      The units shipped makes it a mainframe.  -=stolen from Hazy=-

swansonc@balder.acc.stolaf.edu (Chris Swanson, Systems Operator - ACC @ St. Olaf College) (05/10/90)

In article <1742@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

   I noticed in the brochure for the 3000 it states that the box is 4-3/4" tall
   and I noticed from the Byte article that the slots are mounted on top of
   the motherboard as a daughterboard.

   So.... what I am wondering is:

   Do the cards lie sideways in the 3000? They almost have to because by the
   time you subtract the space taken up by the motherboard and daughter board
   you are left with only about 4 inches of space or less. I don't know the
   typical height of Amiga (zorro) boards but IBM-PC boards are at least 4-1/4"
   tall (I just measured some), some are taller.

Yes, they lie sideways and are plugged into a backplane that plugs
into the motherboard like the IBM-PC or Amiga 2000.

   If they do lie sideways, what is done about heat buildup? will the fan keep them
   cool enough?

I would assume so, but I don't know for sure.

   --
   John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 2400bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
   sparks@corpane.UUCP |                                     | PH: (502) 968-DISK