[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Hard Drive Tape Backup Systems

gregw@sugar.hackercorp.com (Greg White) (05/26/90)

I posted this awhile back but haven't heard any recent updates so I'll
try it again.

Has any one looked into hooking up one of these new Colorado Memory
Systems
streaming tape drives to an Amiga. They are available mail order for
about $275 and will hold up to 120 Mb on one tape. According to the ads
they will interface to an IBM PC or compatible floppy disk controller and
come with software for handling backups on the PC.

It seems to me that the electrical interface would be fairly simple,
however I suspect some sort of device driver and software interface would
have to be written. Any volunteers?

This sounds like it might be the answer to Amiga's HD backup woes.

Any ideas?

Greg White

bscott@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Infinite K) (05/26/90)

In article <5749@sugar.hackercorp.com> gregw@sugar.hackercorp.com (Greg White) writes:
>Has any one looked into hooking up one of these new Colorado Memory Systems
>streaming tape drives to an Amiga. They are available mail order for
>about $275 and will hold up to 120 Mb on one tape. According to the ads
>they will interface to an IBM PC or compatible floppy disk controller and

You didn't hear this from me, but there is a company about to release a tape
backup system for the Amiga that is low-cost and works through the floppy port.
I've seen it; the backup software is very slick.  And there's even more juicy
stuff about it that I can't even hint at.  It's not a 120 meg drive, but it's
from CMS originally.

So just give it a few weeks or however long it's going to take (I know there
is a deadline involved, I just don't know when).

.                           <<<<Infinite K>>>>

--
|Ben Scott, professional goof-off and consultant at The Raster Image, Denver|
|Available at FIDO address 1:104/421.2 & the Arvada 68K BBS at (303)424-9831|