[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] UNIX and Disk Controllers

dick@woodwrk.UUCP (Richard H. Wood, Garland, Texas) (05/28/90)

>In article <3723@darkstar.ucsc.edu> davids@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) writes:
>>Does this mean that the Amiga's Unix doesn't require (specifically) an
>>A2091?  I.E. would any board that follows the RDB standard (such as
>>the Hardframe) be compatibile with Unix?  Thanks again.

Several responses have been posted to this question, but none have
addressed MY queriosity:  namely, "will the A2090a (autobooting variant
of the A2090, as I understand it) be compatible with Unix?"

Inquiring minds would like to know. (as well as owners of the A2090a
like me who were led to believe it'd work when we bought our A2500's,
the ones without the /30 suffix, that is---before there WAS a A2091,
:-( )

--
--d.
___________   _______

In article <3532.AA3532@woodwrk.UUCP> dick@woodwrk.UUCP (Richard H. Wood, Garland, Texas) writes:
> >In article <3723@darkstar.ucsc.edu> davids@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) writes:
> >>Does this mean that the Amiga's Unix doesn't require (specifically) an
> >>A2091?  I.E. would any board that follows the RDB standard (such as
> >>the Hardframe) be compatibile with Unix?  Thanks again.
> >

> Several responses have been posted to this question, but none have
> addressed MY queriosity:  namely, "will the A2090a (autobooting variant
> of the A2090, as I understand it) be compatible with Unix?"

The intention is that it will support all C= disk controllers and also
make provisions for linking in vendor supplied drivers for 3'rd party
controllers.

jbeckley@ics.uci.edu (Jeff D. Beckley) (05/30/90)

The Beta versions of Unix which I have seen know all about the 2090a controller,
as a matter of fact I have seen Unix auto-boot on both a A2090a and an A2090!
So the beta versions must know all about the 2090 series controller if they can
get the plain 2090 to autoboot.  While this does not guarantee that the release
version will support the 2090 & 2090a if is certainly a good sign.

-Jason-

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (05/31/90)

In article <2662E85F.14369@paris.ics.uci.edu> jbeckley@ics.uci.edu (Jason Goldberg) writes:
|The Beta versions of Unix which I have seen know all about the 2090a controller,
|as a matter of fact I have seen Unix auto-boot on both a A2090a and an A2090!
|So the beta versions must know all about the 2090 series controller if they can
|get the plain 2090 to autoboot.  While this does not guarantee that the release
|version will support the 2090 & 2090a if is certainly a good sign.

	The current beta release of System V r4.0
	supports 2090a's and 2091's, but the 2090a
	implementation has problems. Several machines
	I've seen never make it all the way thru
	the boot sequence on that controller, but
	when configured with 2091's, work fine.

	I assume this'll be fixed in the next beta...

Cheers,
--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu