[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Dual Serial Boards

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (05/24/90)

In article <2787@crash.cts.com>, hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:
>    I just purchased the Sharp JX 100 color scanner (incredible results) and am
> now in the need for a dual serial board so my modem can simultaneously be
> hooked up at the same time.  I have heard of two of them, actually three.  The
> first two are all serial boards.  One is from ASDG and lists for $300 but can
> be had for less through ABel Supply, and the other is from Checkpoint
> technologies and lists for $200, and can also be had for less.  My question
> is: has anybody used any of these before and waht are the differences besides
> that the ASDG board comes with 2 AT size serial ports and the Checkpoint board
> comes with one full size and one AT size?

Well, I've not used the Checkpoint board.  I do have the ASDG Dual Serial
board and I like it a lot!  As for the price differential, I have no idea.

The DSB works at very high speeds, and ASDG did a nice job with their
utility programs.  The ASDG "serial.device" is nifty.  If you have a program
which opens it up, a requestor comes up and asks if you want to use the
standard Amiga serial port or one of the ASDG ports.  If you say you want an
ASDG port, it asks you which one.  Your application program never knows the
difference.  Their other device drivers (siosbx.device, etc.) work well, and
if you mount them via a mountlist, you can specify baud rate, character
size, stop bits, parity setting, etc. etc.

Nice job, Perry!
--
  .-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
 / [- O] Rick Stevens (All opinions are mine. Everyone ignores them anyway.) \

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (05/25/90)

In article <2787@crash.cts.com> hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:

>   I just purchased the Sharp JX 100 color scanner (incredible results) and am
>now in the need for a dual serial board so my modem can simultaneously be
>hooked up at the same time.  I have heard of two of them, actually three.  The
>first two are all serial boards.  One is from ASDG and lists for $300 but can
>be had for less through ABel Supply, and the other is from Checkpoint
>technologies and lists for $200, and can also be had for less.  My question
>is: has anybody used any of these before and waht are the differences besides
>that the ASDG board comes with 2 AT size serial ports and the Checkpoint board
>comes with one full size and one AT size?  Are there any problems with any?

ASDG has a "Serial Dispatcher" which presents a port requester when a
program opens serial.device, and they have an AUX: handler.  We
(Checkpoint) have "NewPort", which checks an application, then
makes a tiny (~500 bytes) stub loader that loads in the application and
redirects it to our device name, and we have a "serial preferences"
utility for the new serial ports.  We hook to readily-available MIDI
interfaces and offers a 100% correct 31250 baud rate.  Neither offer any
problems, except that neither work with programs that bang the
Amiga's built-in serial port hardware directly.  Both are competent
and will do just what you want.  Since I'm speaking
for Checkpoint here, of course I'll say you should buy ours. :-)
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (05/27/90)

I've a question about any of the multi-serial-port boards (i.e.
Checkpoint, ASDG, or Commodore's.)  I know the ASDG uses a
requestor.  What about the others?  What happens if you are
running a multiline BBS and have a power-out?  When the
system reboots with power, would you get that requestor which
would effectively make the BBS unoperable till the Sysop got
home?  Or is there a way to select ports in a script or
mountlist? This is especially important to me as I'm
considering a multiline bbs on a 2000.  Thanks in advance.
--
John  M.  Adams    --**--    Professional Student on the six-year plan!     ///
Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (05/27/90)

In article <2787@crash.cts.com> hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:
#
#   I just purchased the Sharp JX 100 color scanner (incredible results) and am
#now in the need for a dual serial board so my modem can simultaneously be
#hooked up at the same time.  I have heard of two of them, actually three.  The
#first two are all serial boards.  One is from ASDG and lists for $300 but can

Just a small correction here: The ASDG board's list price is $249 not $300.
Aside from that, both are good boards whose differences are small enough to
be within the  ``subjective'' domain thus making any listing of differences
more of a ``who did you hear it from'' than anything useful.

pk

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (05/30/90)

In article <23336@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>I've a question about any of the multi-serial-port boards (i.e.
>Checkpoint, ASDG, or Commodore's.)  I know the ASDG uses a
>requestor.  What about the others?  What happens if you are
>running a multiline BBS and have a power-out?  When the
>system reboots with power, would you get that requestor which
>would effectively make the BBS unoperable till the Sysop got
>home?  Or is there a way to select ports in a script or
>mountlist? This is especially important to me as I'm
>considering a multiline bbs on a 2000.  Thanks in advance.

Well, the requester is only there to allow you to use your additional ports
with programs which only know about the Amiga's internal serial port (and don't
go directly to the hardware!). Any multi-line BBS program will allow you to
specify the alternate device drivers and unit (port) numbers to use for the
BBS. Thus, you would not need to install the requester (Serial DisPatcher, in
this case) at all.

Other programs, such as A-Talk III, also allow you to specify which serial
port you wish to use, thus no requester need come up.

You can output through AmigaDOS, ala SER: and AUX: directly to your
additional ports through the use of supplied handlers, with no requester
needed.

So the only time you need to deal with the DisPatcher is when using a program
which will only talk to the amiga's built-in serial.device driver; usually
older (and probably favorite) terminal programs.

- Aaron

--
Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
                                                             -- Robin Williams

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (05/31/90)

In article <1359@madnix.UUCP>, aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) writes:
> In article <23336@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>>I've a question about any of the multi-serial-port boards (i.e.
>>Checkpoint, ASDG, or Commodore's.)  I know the ASDG uses a
>>requestor.  What about the others?  What happens if you are
>>running a multiline BBS and have a power-out?  When the
>>system reboots with power, would you get that requestor which
>>would effectively make the BBS unoperable till the Sysop got
>>home?  Or is there a way to select ports in a script or
>>mountlist? This is especially important to me as I'm
>>considering a multiline bbs on a 2000.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Well, the requester is only there to allow you to use your additional ports
> with programs which only know about the Amiga's internal serial port (and don't
> go directly to the hardware!). Any multi-line BBS program will allow you to
> specify the alternate device drivers and unit (port) numbers to use for the
> BBS. Thus, you would not need to install the requester (Serial DisPatcher, in
> this case) at all.
>
> Other programs, such as A-Talk III, also allow you to specify which serial
> port you wish to use, thus no requester need come up.
[some stuff deleted]
> Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
>                                                              -- Robin Williams
> ARPA: madnix!aaron@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!
> UUCP:   {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!aaron

You can also (very carefully!!!) use an editor (TxED, CEDPro or another which
won't barf on binary codes) to change occurances of "serial.device" to
"siosbx.device", which will cause the application to use the ASDG DSB's port
0. I've done this, and it works just hunky.  You've GOTTA be careful, though,
and trying to use port 1 can be tough because you have to find the "0" which
refers to the device number and change it to a "1".  Chances are that you'll
find LOTS of "0"s in there.

--
 / [- O] Rick Stevens (All opinions are mine. Everyone ignores them anyway.) \
|    V   | uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick             (<-- Work (ugh!))             |
|--------+ uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop           (<-- Home Unix (better!))     |
|  uunet!perigrine!ccicpg!conexch!amoeba2!rps2  (<-- Home Amiga (Best!!)      |
 \ 75006.1355@compuserve.com (CIS: 75006,1355)  (<-- CI$)                    /
"I was Caesarean born.  When I leave the house, I use the window."
                                         - Steven Wright