[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Termites in Computer

a275@mindlink.UUCP (Travers Naran) (06/04/90)

> greg@cica.cica.indiana.edu writes:
>
> It could be the vibrations.  In our old machine room at the Institute for
> Social Research, our PDP-11 and it's peripherals used to attract the termites
> like mad.  Occasionally the floor would be swimming with them.  There has to
> be something about computers that they like to get them out of that delicious
> rotting wood for which that building was famous.
>
> --
> Gregory R. Travis                Indiana University, Bloomington IN 47405
> greg@cica.cica.indiana.edu       Center for Innovative Computer Applications

Actually, I remember hearing that rats were doing the same thing, being
attracted to the computer's wiring (I think it was Japan). Anyways, it turned
out that the computer's wiring was emitting a sound that attracted the little
buggers so it is not surprising about termites. :-)
Travers "T'aran" Naran (I am male)
Simon Fraser University, Computing Science
Whovian, Prober, Treker, Quantum Leaper....
Mailing addresses:
   Usenet  Travers_Naran@mindlink.UUCP
or      uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Travers_Naran

a808@mindlink.UUCP (David R. Matthews) (06/04/90)

Well, that's one way to get bugs.

maltasr@csusac (Robert Maltas) (06/04/90)

Just thought I'd mention something interesting:

The other day at work, I opened up an IBM Model 60 to clean it out and
found the inside of the machine laced with dead termites. The termites seemed
to have an appetite for the styrofoam padding inside the case. Good thing
that Commodore didn't use any of that foam padding!
--
    ///
\\\///    UUCP    : {ucdavis|lll-crg}!csusac!maltasr

greg@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) (06/04/90)

In article <greg.644509902@cica> greg@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) writes:
>In <1990Jun4.115735.16273@csusac.csus.edu> maltasr@csusac (Robert Maltas) writes:
>
>>Just thought I'd mention something interesting:
>
>>The other day at work, I opened up an IBM Model 60 to clean it out and
>>found the inside of the machine laced with dead termites. The termites seemed
>>to have an appetite for the styrofoam padding inside the case. Good thing
>>that Commodore didn't use any of that foam padding!
>>--
>>    ///
>>\\\///    UUCP    : {ucdavis|lll-crg}!csusac!maltasr
>> \XX/     Internet: maltasr@csusac.csus.edu
>
>It could be the vibrations.  In our old machine room at the Institute for
>Social Research, our PDP-11 and it's peripherals used to attract the termites
>like mad.  Occasionally the floor would be swimming with them.  There has to
>be something about computers that they like to get them out of that delicious
>rotting wood for which that building was famous.
>
>--
>Gregory R. Travis                Indiana University, Bloomington IN 47405
>greg@cica.cica.indiana.edu       Center for Innovative Computer Applications

	As I remember it, Termites, as well as ants and several
other insects, are attracted by magnetic fields. Perhaps if the
machine isn't well insulated you get problems.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

"If Commodore had to market sushi they'd call it `raw cold fish'"
		-- The Bandito, inevitably stolen from someone else