[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Attention: Commodore/Amiga Engineering!

aman@xroads.UUCP (Chris Minshall) (06/03/90)

I have two questions concerning the A3000 that I would like to know the
answer to.  First, is the oscillator for the '882 and '030 on the motherboard
socketed?  If so, can it be replaced with, say, a 60 MHZ oscillator to get a
30 MHZ '882 and '030?  Second, what kind of real world speed increase is
realized using SCRAMS on the 3000 instead of PAGE MODE DRAMS??  Thanks for
your time.
                                       Chris
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 /\   (602) 941-2005 300|1200 Baud 24 hrs/day

In article <1079@xroads.UUCP> aman@xroads.UUCP (Chris Minshall) writes:

>I have two questions concerning the A3000 that I would like to know the
>answer to.  First, is the oscillator for the '882 and '030 on the motherboard
>socketed?

No.  Neither are the 68030 or 68882.

>If so, can it be replaced with, say, a 60 MHZ oscillator to get a 30 MHZ
>'882 and '030?

Since the rest of the chips in the system aren't likely to run at 30MHz any
more than the 25MHz 68030 or 68882, this is Not A Problem.  There are no
quick and dirty enhancements; if you want a faster system, you'll have to
wait until a real, correctly design Coprocessor slot card is available.

>Second, what kind of real world speed increase is realized using SCRAMS on
>the 3000 instead of PAGE MODE DRAMS??

We estimate about 20% speedup, though of course the increase is software
dependent.

>                                       Chris

	"I have been given the freedom to do as I see fit" -REM