[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Looking for Genlock info, experiences

brian@sky.COM (Brian Pelletier) (06/06/90)

I recently upgraded from my trusty old A1000 to a 2000HD.  With one exception,
everything's been great.  The exception is the loss of my color composite
output.  I used the 1000 previously to do some simple titling for some home
videos, and I'd like to do the same with the 2000.  The B/W output of the 2000
is not sufficient for what I'm doing.

My first idea was to get one of those RGB -> composite things that Commodore
makes for the 500.  That will work, but it's (1) a bit pricey for a simple
converter, (2) annoyingly designed so that I'll have to pull the 2000 away
from the wall to plug it in, and (3) it doesn't allow both RGB and composite
out at the same time.

So now I'm thinking of getting a simple genlock instead, which will give me
both a composite video out and a lot of other features to use when
editing the video tapes.  I've heard that some genlocks are better than
others, and that some should be avoided at all costs.  I'd like to hear
from people who have used 1 or more genlocks to get some idea of what I
should be looking for.  Please Email me here with any praise, warnings,
horror stories, and especially prices for one of these beasties.  Thanks
in advance!

  -Brian

| Brian Pelletier            Disclaimer: These are MY opinions, not SKY's.|
| Sky Computer                                                            |
| UUCP - brian@sky.com (work)   pelletier@grove.UUCP (home)               |

terry@comcon.UUCP (Terry LaGrone) (06/08/90)

In article <736@sky.COM>, brian@sky.COM (Brian Pelletier) writes:
> I recently upgraded from my trusty old A1000 to a 2000HD.  With one exception,
> everything's been great.  The exception is the loss of my color composite
> output.
> I've heard that some genlocks are better than
> others, and that some should be avoided at all costs.  I'd like to hear
> from people who have used 1 or more genlocks to get some idea of what I
> should be looking for.

I have used several Genlocks and find that the use (and budget) determines
the choice.  If you are doing work that is broadcast then the Magni (~$2000)
is best.  For interactive video, where visual perception on the screen is
important the Amiga A2300 is better than the higher priced units ($300-$400).
Taping off the A2300 is a little marginal.  The supergen is a good compromise.

The Amigen is very cheap (not inexpensive) and shows the adage YouGetWhatYouPay4

My own expertise is in the interactive area, and in that area only the A2300 is
an extremely good value.  The box says "sans-diffusion" and that is your cue.

Terry H. LaGrone

Flight Training Devices - Alaska
BIX: tlagrone