[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Hardware addresses!

nv89-rbi@nada.kth.se (Ron Birk) (05/30/90)

Please someone who knowes about all NEW hardware adresses with the new
amigas, like $DFF1DC, in which you can change netween PAL/NTSC with only
software! I and a friend are working on a big project and NEED all NEW
addresses and the bits in there. Or maybe you know where I can get those
addresses?

Ron Birk, nv89-rbi@nada.kth.se

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (06/05/90)

nv89-rbi@nada.kth.se (Ron Birk) writes:

>Please someone who knowes about all NEW hardware adresses with the new
>amigas, like $DFF1DC, in which you can change netween PAL/NTSC with only
>software! I and a friend are working on a big project and NEED all NEW
>addresses and the bits in there. Or maybe you know where I can get those
>addresses?

Sure - you can get the addresses from the Department of Stupid Amiga
Programming, Dead Letter, Virginia, 10FFH.  An alternative ftp site
is ohboy@my.software.is.going.to.break.on.the.next.upgrade.duh

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) (06/07/90)

In article <18344@well.sf.ca.us> farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
> nv89-rbi@nada.kth.se (Ron Birk) writes:

> >Please someone who knowes about all NEW hardware adresses with the new
> >amigas, like $DFF1DC, in which you can change netween PAL/NTSC with only
> >software! I and a friend are working on a big project and NEED all NEW
> >addresses and the bits in there. Or maybe you know where I can get those
> >addresses?

> Sure - you can get the addresses from the Department of Stupid Amiga
> Programming, Dead Letter, Virginia, 10FFH.  An alternative ftp site
> is ohboy@my.software.is.going.to.break.on.the.next.upgrade.duh

> --
> Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

So you think commodore makes RKM manuals with wrong information.
You think OwnBlitter is in ROM just for fun?

MITT

--
Mikko "Assembler rules OK!" Tsokkinen
Internet mt87692@tut.fi : UUCP tut!mt87692 : Bitnet mt87692@fintut

<LEEK@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (06/07/90)

In article <MT87692.90Jun6212022@uikku.tut.fi>, mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen)
says:
>> Sure - you can get the addresses from the Department of Stupid Amiga
>> Programming, Dead Letter, Virginia, 10FFH.  An alternative ftp site
>> is ohboy@my.software.is.going.to.break.on.the.next.upgrade.duh
>
>> --
>> Mike Farren                                farren@well.sf.ca.us
>
>So you think commodore makes RKM manuals with wrong information.
>You think OwnBlitter is in ROM just for fun?
>
>MITT
>
>--
>Mikko "Assembler rules OK!" Tsokkinen
>Internet mt87692@tut.fi : UUCP tut!mt87692 : Bitnet mt87692@fintut

Unless I am mistaken, I would have to say coding in absolute address is
not a good practice.  eg. Like what's the new address 0xBAD0F00D does in
the original article.  What RMK advice people to do is go through the OS
if possible and if that isn't good enough use the addresses in the
symbolic form like  PORT1X to talk to the first game port or something
like that instead of coding the address as 0x00DEAD00. :)  If ever C=
decided to upgrade the hardware, all one have to do is to use the new
include files and recompile/reassemble the program and it should work just
like that.

K. C. Lee

I know how bad it is to code address/constants directly in programs.  Right
now I am struck trying to patch up someone else's FORTRAN IV code and having
a hell of a time trying to guess what each of the funny numbers are.

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (06/08/90)

mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) writes:
>In article <18344@well.sf.ca.us> farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
>> nv89-rbi@nada.kth.se (Ron Birk) writes:
>> I and a friend are working on a big project and NEED all NEW
>> >addresses and the bits in there.

[Smartass (but correct!) reply by me deleted]

>So you think commodore makes RKM manuals with wrong information.
>You think OwnBlitter is in ROM just for fun?

A.  The RKM has exactly ONE hardware address - 4.  ExecBase.  The Hardware
    Reference Manual DOES have absolute addresses, but it also has quite
    explicit warnings all over the place that these addresses are NOT
    permanent, MAY change, and you shouldn't rely on them.  As a very
    specific example, the one that was originally given (the register to
    switch between PAL and NTSC programmably) is GUARANTEED not to work
    on any stock Amiga 1000 system, or any 2000 or 500 that is not
    upgraded to the 1M Agnus.

B.  The easiest way to deal with absolute hardware addresses is not to.
    Use the include files, and deal with the hardware by symbolic
    reference - this way, if things change, at least you won't have
    to go through all of your source code - although you might have to
    make new binaries.  Better yet, avoid writing to the hardware
    directly at all, if you can.  I've been programming this puppy for
    five years now, professionally, and the only two things I've ever
    had to go to the hardware to use were the blitter and the audio
    hardware, and most of the time, I don't need to go to the hardware
    even for those.  And please note that he did NOT ask for blitter
    addresses - he asked for ALL addresses!

C.  The decision to take over the hardware and write directly to the
    hardware registers is not one which should be made lightly.  In
    particular, it is not one which anyone who does not have the basic
    programming references to the Amiga, namely the RKM and hardware
    manuals, should be making.  If this person does not already know
    the information he's asking for, he doesn't have the level of
    competence in Amiga programming he needs to use them wisely.  Asking
    for the addresses is tantamount to admitting that one doesn't know
    what to do with them.  It's equivalent to the question "How do you
    make nitroglycerin?" - if you have to ask, I'm not going to tell you!

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us