[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Amiga Mail A3000 RAM article wrong?

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (06/02/90)

I just got the March/April Amiga Mail (almost got it down to one month
after the cover date, keep trying guys!), and the article "Expanding
Fast RAM on the Amiga 3000" seems to have an error.

At the bottom of the first page it is stated that 80 nS or faster chips
must be used. Everything I've heard elsewhere says 100 nS or faster.
Which is right?

Ramsey detects SCRAM, and enables static column mode automatically?
Neat!

Also, am I reading the memory expansion diagram correctly? The way I
read it, each 1M (or 4M) bank of RAM is installed in every fourth
socket. That is, consecutive part location numbers, but physically it's
every fourth chip. Right?

The article states that NEC, Toshiba, and Motorola 256K x 4 SCRAM have
been tested. Any idea about Sharp? I'm assuming that nearly anything in
a 100 nS ZIP SCRAM will work, but only what was on hand was tested. Have
4M parts been tested since the article was written?
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@esunix.UUCP               (worsel's feed is going away, don't send

bryce@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bryce Nesbitt) (06/08/90)

In article <1984@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>Ramsey detects SCRAM, and enables static column mode automatically? Neat!

Not quite.  The software checks if all banks of ram are SCRAM, and if so
turns on the mode.  Don't mix types.

>Also, am I reading the memory expansion diagram correctly? The way I
>read it, each 1M (or 4M) bank of RAM is installed in every fourth
>socket. That is, consecutive part location numbers, but physically it's
>every fourth chip. Right?

Correct.  Read those numbers.

>Have 4M parts been tested since the article was written? [Did they mean
>100ns, not 80ns?]

Yes indeed.  4Mb parts work perfectly (but kinda expensive if you actually need
to pay for them).  I'm sure I have seen some Sharp parts kicking about
somewhere.

100ns rams are required, but 80ns will also work.

--
|\_/|  . "ACK!, NAK!, EOT!, SOH!"  "Lawyers: America's untapped export market."
{X o} .     Bryce Nesbitt, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.