[net.space] Atmospheric drag, speed-of-light

@S1-A.ARPA:host.MIT-MC.ARPA (05/10/85)

From: Richard B. August <AUGUST@JPL-VLSI.ARPA>

>From: crash!bnw@SDCSVAX.ARPA
>Date: Thu, 9 May 85 10:38:17 PDT
>To: Space-Enthusiasts@MIT-MC
>Subject: Re: Speed Of Light (Jeff Harrow)
>
>     I've seen this kind of problem before.  It stems, in part, from the
>problem of mounting a machine gun on a jet that flies faster than the muzzle
>velocity of the gun.
>     The simplest way to explain this is that the speed of light (C) is an
>absolute constant that is relative to the universe itself and not conditioned
>by the contents of the universe.  The universe has rules, and you can't break
>the rules by going faster.
>                                                         /Bruce N. Wheelock/
>                        arpanet: crash!bnw@ucsd
>                           uucp: {ihnp4, cbosgd, sdcsvax, noscvax}!crash!bnw

     When  you mention "...the problem of mounting a machine  gun
on  a jet that flies faster than the muzzle velocity of the  gun"
are  you  alluding to the phenomenon of the  expelled  projectile
loosing  velocity  after leaving the muzzle?  This is actually  a
result  of  atmospheric  drag causing  the  projectile  to  loose
energy.  As we learned at Pensacola,  FL "...after firing a short
burst...pull up!"
     You  also  mention that "The universe has  rules,  and  you
can't break the rules by going faster". This assumes that we know
all the rules.

Regards,
Richard
------