[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A1000 without ven?

asklingl@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Andreas Klingler) (06/07/90)

I wonder if it is possible to run an A1000 without the ventilator?
My ven does a lot of noise and instead of buying a new one I am thinking
of cutting it off. Maybe there will be enougth cooling if I just place
the powersupply out of the A1000's case.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Andreas Klingler
asklingl@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de

valentin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Valentin Pepelea) (06/11/90)

In article <2852@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> asklingl@medusa.UUCP
(Andreas Klingler) writes:

> I wonder if it is possible to run an A1000 without the ventilator?
> My ven does a lot of noise and instead of buying a new one I am thinking
> of cutting it off. Maybe there will be enougth cooling if I just place
> the powersupply out of the A1000's case.

Don't do that. The A1000 case is almost hermetically sealed, no significant
airflow is going to arise if the fan is turned off. It appears that the
mechanical engineers working on the case design were fearful of electrons
escaping from the revolutionary graphic coprocessors, thus the impregnable
design.  :-)

Look under the A1000, you will see a few hollow bars in the plastic. When the
fan is turned on, air rushes through these vents, makes its wayt though the
motherboard and finally gets spit out by the fan blades. The mazed path that
the air takes will not happen without the fan.

Valentin
--
The Goddess of democracy? "The tyrants     Name:    Valentin Pepelea
may distroy a statue,  but they cannot     Phone:   (215) 431-9327