[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A1000 cooling fan

sam@ursa.UUCP (Sam Aruti) (06/12/90)

Valentin@cbmvax advised against running an A1000 without a cooling fan.
I have actually done this for about six months when my original fan
failed and I didn't notice that my very quiet Amiga was
now a totally silent A1000.  No harm done, I rarely switch the machine
off and it was a hot NJ summer.  The replacement fan is now getting noisy:-(

Kevin Northover   ( ....!gotham!trader!kevin  -- this is a borrowed account)

In article <4764@ursa.UUCP> sam@ursa.UUCP () writes:
> Valentin@cbmvax advised against running an A1000 without a cooling fan.
> I have actually done this for about six months when my original fan
> failed and I didn't notice that my very quiet Amiga was
> now a totally silent A1000.  No harm done, I rarely switch the machine
> off and it was a hot NJ summer.  The replacement fan is now getting noisy:-(

Of course you can do it, the same way I can run my car without the fan belt
installed.  It'll work under many conditions for some period of time, but
if/when it fails, the results may be expensive.

In a sense you are advising this person to take a risk, the consequences of
which are potentially buying a new power supply or other system components...
Send him your phone number just in case...  8-)