[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Summary of A3000 answers

Just a couple of corrections...

In <5712@hub.ucsb.edu>, dz@papaya.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) writes:
>Earlier, I posted a whole lot of questions.  I was asked to summarize
>some of the answers, so here they are:
>
>General:  A3000 has 4 Zorro 3 slots.  2 are inline with AT slots, 1 with
>video slot, 1 with CPU slot.  Putting a card in a slot may cover the
>inline slot, rendering it useless.

The CPU slot is not anywhere near the Zorro III slots. It is a separate, 200
pin slot under the drive/power tray.

>RAM:  Can take up to 4 ZIPS, each holding 1 or 4 megs of 32-bit RAM.

A ZIP is a single chip, and holds either 1meg * 4 or 256K * 4. There are
sockets for 32 ZIPs, allowing either 4 or 16 megs of FAST memory on the
motherboard.

-larry

--
The raytracer of justice recurses slowly, but it renders exceedingly fine.

dz@papaya.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) (06/07/90)

Earlier, I posted a whole lot of questions.  I was asked to summarize
some of the answers, so here they are:

General:  A3000 has 4 Zorro 3 slots.  2 are inline with AT slots, 1 with
video slot, 1 with CPU slot.  Putting a card in a slot may cover the
inline slot, rendering it useless.

Bridgeboard:  The two bridgeboards out now will work with the A3000, but
cover slots.  They can drive a VGA card in the other slot.  They can
control thier own hard drive.  Amiga side and bridgeboard side can use
partitions on each other's hard disks, but it is slow.  Software will
let you read MS-DOS disks with the Amiga drives.  Bridgeboard can not
use Amiga serial port (like modem), and modems in the AT slots are
not usable by the Amiga side.  Display modes supported by the bridgeboard
are text and CGA (editorial: and EGA mode would be a big improvement, and
the Amiga hardware could handle it easily).

UNIX:  These are all rumors, and should be treated as such.  Port of
Sys V.4 expected for Fall including tape drive and lots of 4.3BSD stuff.
Cost totally unknown, but I expect $1500 - $2000.

RAM:  Can take up to 4 ZIPS, each holding 1 or 4 megs of 32-bit RAM.
Normal Amiga RAM cards can be used, but will be 16-bit.  ZIPs available
through computer shopper for < $100/meg.  Can probably do ok with the
2 megs, but compiling with optimization should take a lot more.  I expect
to use at least 6 megs, and go up.  General rule:  get as much as you can.
I think I would not worry once I got up to 7 megs.

1950:  Normal multisync, but supposedly high quality.  The .31 dot pitch
is not the greatest (.28 is best), but supposedly handles certain video
modes better than others.  One person said it is "mushy", whatever that
means.

SCSI:  Plug & play, controller included in box.  Got conflicting reports
about termination.  My guess is that it would be safest to terminate any
new devices.  Note:  the 3000 has only 1 available drive bay after the
hard disk and floppy disk are installed.  Might be best to make second
floppy external, so new hard drive can be internal.

Graphics modes with > 4096 colors:  12 bit graphics are built into the
data paths on the motherboard, so new modes would have to come from a
card.  These will be non-standard, most likely.  Commodore says (in Byte)
"We are working on both short term and long term solutions."  In other
words:  "Don't hold your breath."

OS updates:  OS currently loads into RAM, so updates will be on floppy.
Will eventually be put into ROMs.

| Dan Zerkle home:(805) 968-4683 work:687-0110                        |
| dz@cornu.ucsb.edu dz%cornu@ucsbuxa.bitnet ...ucbvax!hub!cornu!dz    |
| Snailmail: 6681 Berkshire Terrace #5, Isla Vista, CA  93117         |
| Disclaimer: My fish are stupid.                                     |

mk59200@korppi.tut.fi (Kolkka Markku Olavi) (06/07/90)

In article <5712@hub.ucsb.edu> dz@cornu.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) writes:
>Earlier, I posted a whole lot of questions.  I was asked to summarize
>some of the answers, so here they are:

>RAM:  Can take up to 4 ZIPS, each holding 1 or 4 megs of 32-bit RAM.

This should be 4 _banks_ of ZIPs, with 8 4-bit wide chips in each bank.
The chips can be either 256x4 (1 Mbit) or 1Mx4 (4 Mbit) ones.

>SCSI:  Plug & play, controller included in box.  Got conflicting reports
>about termination.  My guess is that it would be safest to terminate any
>new devices.

You are going to have major trouble with more than two terminator packs
on a SCSI bus.  The standard specifies _exactly_ two terminators, but
you could manage with only one if the cables are short enough (internal
drives only).

--
	Markku Kolkka
	mk59200@tut.fi

mks@cbmvax.commodore.com (Michael Sinz - CATS) (06/13/90)

In article <5712@hub.ucsb.edu> dz@cornu.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) writes:
>Earlier, I posted a whole lot of questions.  I was asked to summarize
>some of the answers, so here they are:
>
>General:  A3000 has 4 Zorro 3 slots.  2 are inline with AT slots, 1 with
>video slot, 1 with CPU slot.  Putting a card in a slot may cover the
>inline slot, rendering it useless.

The CPU slot is *NOT* inline with any of the ZORRO slots.  The thing looks
like this

        1 Video Slot  Zorro II/III (4)
           |                 |
          \|/               \|/

        ---- ----     --------------
        ------- ----  --------------
        ------- ----  --------------
                      --------------

          /|\

        PC/AT Slots (2)

The CPU slot is in a completely different place.  It is located under the
floppy drive assembly which is on the back of the backplane.

       +----------------------------+      This is a TOP View...
       |           |                |
       |          B|                |
       |          a|                |
       |          c|                |
       |          k|                |
       |          P|                |
       |          l|                |
       |          a|                |
       |          n|  ............  |
       |          e| :            : |
       |          S| : CPU Card   : |
       |          l| :            : |
       |          o| :            : |
       |          t| :  CPU Slot  : |
       |           | : ---------- : |
       +----------------------------+
              Front of the machine

>RAM:  Can take up to 4 ZIPS, each holding 1 or 4 megs of 32-bit RAM.
>Normal Amiga RAM cards can be used, but will be 16-bit.  ZIPs available
>through computer shopper for < $100/meg.  Can probably do ok with the
>2 megs, but compiling with optimization should take a lot more.  I expect
>to use at least 6 megs, and go up.  General rule:  get as much as you can.
>I think I would not worry once I got up to 7 megs.

If it took only 4 ZIPs things would be very bad.  (Since it takes 8 of
the 256Kx4 parts to make a Megabyte...)  Anyway, the A3000 takes upto
32 ZIPs.  You need to expand in 8-chip banks (since you will use either
256Kx4 or 1Mx4 chips and you need x32 for a bank)  The cost of the chips
depend on the type.  They can be either PAGE MODE DRAM or STATIC COLUMN
DRAM.  (DRAM or SCRAM for short)

Costs I have seen were on the range of $14/chip at 256Kx4
                                       $58/chip at 1Mx4

Since you need 8 chips at a time (for either 1Meg or 4Meg of RAM)
it will cost 8 times the cost of the chip.

So, with these numbers you can get upto 4 meg of FAST RAM with 256Kx4 chips
or 16 meg of FAST RAM with 1Mx4 chips.

>| Dan Zerkle home:(805) 968-4683 work:687-0110                        |
>| dz@cornu.ucsb.edu dz%cornu@ucsbuxa.bitnet ...ucbvax!hub!cornu!dz    |
>| Snailmail: 6681 Berkshire Terrace #5, Isla Vista, CA  93117         |
>| Disclaimer: My fish are stupid.                                     |

/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
|      /// Michael Sinz -- CATS/Amiga Software Engineer                |
|     ///  PHONE 215-431-9422  UUCP ( uunet | rutgers ) !cbmvax!mks    |
|    ///                                                               |
|\\\///          When people are free to do as they please,            |
| \XX/                they usually imitate each other.                 |

ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) (06/13/90)

In article <5712@hub.ucsb.edu> dz@cornu.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) writes:
>Earlier, I posted a whole lot of questions.  I was asked to summarize
>some of the answers, so here they are:
>
>General:  A3000 has 4 Zorro 3 slots.  2 are inline with AT slots, 1 with
>video slot, 1 with CPU slot.  Putting a card in a slot may cover the
>inline slot, rendering it useless.
Nope: Actually the CPU slot is towards the front right side of the machine
where the card runs parallel under the drive bay.

>1950:  Normal multisync, but supposedly high quality.  The .31 dot pitch
>is not the greatest (.28 is best), but supposedly handles certain video
Actually .21 (my SONY CDP1310 (OEM highend Mulitsync) would be considered
better that .28, but I am sure there is better.

>modes better than others.  One person said it is "mushy", whatever that
>means.
>
>SCSI:  Plug & play, controller included in box.  Got conflicting reports
>about termination.  My guess is that it would be safest to terminate any
Its always safe to say terminate the last and only the last SCSI device
in the chain.  This goes for most daisy chained devices (including ST506).

>new devices.  Note:  the 3000 has only 1 available drive bay after the
>hard disk and floppy disk are installed.  Might be best to make second
>floppy external, so new hard drive can be internal.
>
>Graphics modes with > 4096 colors:  12 bit graphics are built into the
>data paths on the motherboard, so new modes would have to come from a
>card.  These will be non-standard, most likely.  Commodore says (in Byte)
>"We are working on both short term and long term solutions."  In other
>words:  "Don't hold your breath."
>
>OS updates:  OS currently loads into RAM, so updates will be on floppy.
>Will eventually be put into ROMs.
>
>| Dan Zerkle home:(805) 968-4683 work:687-0110                        |
>| dz@cornu.ucsb.edu dz%cornu@ucsbuxa.bitnet ...ucbvax!hub!cornu!dz    |
>| Snailmail: 6681 Berkshire Terrace #5, Isla Vista, CA  93117         |
>| Disclaimer: My fish are stupid.                                     |

  Mike Kraml - Manager-Separations MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (The Techies)
  UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl.sbc.com!ammrk

In article <1990Jun12.213632.7738@swbatl.sbc.com> ammrk@swbatl.UUCP (Mike R. Kraml) writes:
>In article <5712@hub.ucsb.edu> dz@cornu.ucsb.edu (Daniel James Zerkle) writes:
>>
>>1950:  Normal multisync, but supposedly high quality.  The .31 dot pitch
>>is not the greatest (.28 is best), but supposedly handles certain video
>Actually .21 (my SONY CDP1310 (OEM highend Mulitsync) would be considered

    Sorry Guys: My numbers were off: Actually the monitor is CDP1302A, and the
dot pitch is actually .25mm, sorry for the inaccuracy, but the idea is the
same.....

   Just wanted to clear things up.  Mike...