[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] EPROM burner for Amiga

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (06/11/90)

I'm looking for recommendations on EPROM burners that can be used on the
Amiga. I've got the plans for Bob Blick's Eprommer, but the docs for it
note that the software is compiled basic, with delay loops to get the
timing right. This doesn't sound too likely to work on my A2620, or my
(future) A3000. Has there been an update to this programmer? The version
I've got is dated March 23, 1989.

One other possibility is the Circuit Cellar's serial port EPROM burner.
As I recall from the construction articles, it just requires a dumb
terminal to drive it.

I need the ability to program 2732 through 27512 EPROMs. In a year or
two, I might have the need to program PALs and such. Is it worth looking
at something that can handle programmable logic now, or is the cost
difference enough that I should just worry about that when the time
comes? I'm figuring on spending in the range of $50-150, is that
realistic?

The last EPROM burner I bought was an Apple II card, and it only handles
2708's through 2764's. (As you can see, it's been a while! :-)

Oh, should I be looking at something that can also deal with the newer
16 bit EPROMs?
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@esunix.UUCP                (worsel's feed has died, so don't send

a143@mindlink.UUCP (Ed Meyer) (06/12/90)

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (06/12/90)

In article <1991@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>I'm looking for recommendations on EPROM burners that can be used on the
>Amiga. I've got the plans for Bob Blick's Eprommer, but the docs for it
>note that the software is compiled basic, with delay loops to get the
>timing right. This doesn't sound too likely to work on my A2620, or my
>(future) A3000. Has there been an update to this programmer? The version
>I've got is dated March 23, 1989.
>
>One other possibility is the Circuit Cellar's serial port EPROM burner.
>As I recall from the construction articles, it just requires a dumb
>terminal to drive it.

	Another option is the serial port EPROM burner made by BP Microsystems
of Houston, Texas. We have used several of their units on I-M PC's and our
unix workstations. The unit will work with a dumb terminal, but they provide
software for the PC (simple & straightforward). One of our programmers wrote
some C code to run it from our unix workstations. This code can be fairly
easily ported to the Amiga; or one could just use a terminal program. It
handles all kinds of EPROMS up to the 1M size.
	Their phone # is 713-461-9430 if you are interested. They make a good
product.
					Terry

fozzy@bhpese.oz.au (Andrew Steele) (06/13/90)

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:

>I'm looking for recommendations on EPROM burners that can be used on the
>Amiga.

I've got an article from one of the last (:-()issues of Transactor for
building an eprom programmer.  It says that the software was on the disk
that went with the magazine, but it never arrived.  If it's any use to
anyone I can scan it in and post the article.

I hope its O.K. to post it.  Seeing the Magazine has gone bust how else
could anyone get something that was in it. BESIDES, THEY STILL OWE ME
$200 OF SUBSCRIPTIONS!!!!!!.  Ah, that feels better. :-).

fozzy

--
Andrew Steele                                Computer Services,
ACSnet  : fozzy@bhpese.oz                    BHP Rod & Bar Products Division,