[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] the 2000's noisy fan

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (06/14/90)

Is there some way to replace the 2000's fan with a quieter fan
without compromising the cooling system?  The fan is unacceptably
loud for use in a studio apartment.  I am almost thinking of a
3000 solely on the reports that it is as quiet as the 1000.

Why the noisy fan anyway?  It sounds like the 1000 has at least
as high demand for fan-power due to tortuous ventilation routes!

hints, advice, comments, commisery all welcome.

dylan
dylan@cs.washington.edu

conca@handel.CS.ColoState.Edu (michael vincen conca) (06/14/90)

In article <12248@june.cs.washington.edu> dylan@june.cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:

>Is there some way to replace the 2000's fan with a quieter fan
>without compromising the cooling system?  The fan is unacceptably
>loud for use in a studio apartment.  I am almost thinking of a
>3000 solely on the reports that it is as quiet as the 1000.
>
>dylan
>dylan@cs.washington.edu

In the October 1989 issue of Popular Electronics there is an aritcle on
various ways of quieting a computer fan.  My 2000's fan is fairly quiet
so I haven't had the need to use the article, although it is interesting.

						-Mike

-=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=--=*=-
Mike Conca, Computer Science Dept.   *  conca@handel.cs.colostate.edu
Colorado State University            *  conca@129.82.102.32
   "Everyday, as the world becomes smaller, the network becomes larger."

odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Jon Granrose) (06/14/90)

In article <12248@june.cs.washington.edu> dylan@june.cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:

>Is there some way to replace the 2000's fan with a quieter fan
>without compromising the cooling system?  The fan is unacceptably
>loud for use in a studio apartment.  I am almost thinking of a
>3000 solely on the reports that it is as quiet as the 1000.

>dylan
>dylan@cs.washington.edu

I went on this crusade last year and I have appended the results of the search.
I ordered the fan from Digikey and it looked to fit exactly in place of the
current one.  Only problem, earthquake.  The fan was sitting on top of my
computer when the Loma Prieta struck last October (I'm in Santa Cruz, only
about 10 miles from the epicenter).  The fan, I think, went sailing out of
my third story window, never to be seen again.  I can't think of what could
have happened since it was there before the earthquake and gone after.  So
that's my earthquake damage I guess.

Anyway, personally, I'd go for the Digikey fan.  It is incredibly quiet
and easy to install.  I needed to solder the wires from the fan into the
connector off the old fan but I didn't have a soldering iron on me.

I hope this helps.

Jon
-----------
From ames!amdahl!drivax!liberato@mailrus.cc.umich.edu Thu Oct  5 18:11:01 1989
	id <m0gCj5A-00001lC@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>; Thu, 5 Oct 89 18:09 PDT
To: odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU
Subject: Re: AARRRRGGGHHHH!!! My fan is driving me crazy!!!!

                      Amiga 2000 Stealth Fan Instructions

      Tired of listening to that Jet Engine Turbine fan on your Amiga 2000?
   Well, heres a solution I came up with that cuts the fan noise down by
   at least half.  Over the course of the last 6 months, the noise of my
   Amiga 2000 fan slowly increased as the bearings for the fan started to
   make more and more noise.  Since my warranty was out, I decided to go
   ahead and pull the power supply and check out the fan.  To my surprise,
   when the fan is seperated from the power supply and held by hand, it was
   almost whisper quiet, except for the noise the bad bearings generated.
   But when mounted in the power supply, the noise was terrible.  Drawing
   on my experience in the Submarine Navy, I realized that it was a simple
   problem of sound isolation.  The fan had been popriveted onto the
   aluminum case for the power supply.  This direct metal to metal contact
   allowed the noise vibrations to transfer from the fan to the power
   supply, and from there to the rest of the Amiga case, amplifying the
   sound generated by the fan.
      The solution?  Well, I went to the local hardware store and bought
   four 1/8" x 1" round headed bolts with nuts and lock washers and four
   round rubber grommets with a 1/16" slot for the power supply casing and
   a 1/8" hole for the screws. These parts should only cost a couple dollars.
      Now, installation.  First turn the 2000 off and unplug the power
   cord from the rear.  Next, remove the 5 phillips head screws holding the
   cover on, and remove the cover.  There is one screw in the top middle
   of the back, and 2 screws on the bottom of the cover on each side.
   Next, remove the 2 screws on the back of the 2000 for the power supply,
   one is located at the top on the inside edge of the fan, the other is
   at the top, just above the power cord connection.  Now remove the 2
   screws that mount the power supply to the metal mounting bracket for
   the power supply and drives.  These screws are at the front of the
   power supply next to the protective cage.  Now, unplug any power supply
   cords coming from the power supply to the motherboard and disk drives.
   You should be able to remove the power supply now.  Ok, now to remove
   the fan, use a 1/8" or 5/32" drill bit and drill to drill out the rivets
   connecting the fan to the power supply.  Next you need to drill out the
   fan mounting holes on the power supply to accomadate the rubber grommets.
   The grommets I used required a 5/16" hole.  Now install the grommets,
   and mount the fan using the 4 bolts, lock washers, and screws.  I
   found it was easiest to install the bolt at the bottom right corner
   of the fan first.  (Looking from the rear of the power supply)
   Tighten the screws until snug, but don't overtighten.
   One last item, you should trim any of the rubber grommet sticking out
   on the side of the fan cover plate so that the power supply can fit
   snugly against the rear of the 2000.  That's it!  Now just re-install
   the power supply and the 2000's cover.

                                             Glenn Nielsen
                                             CIS  75115,444
                                             BIX  gnielsen

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato
     "My life is conventional and uneventful.  It allows me to think with

From esunix!lhoward@albion.utah.edu Tue Oct 10 09:06:59 1989
To: odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU

Call DigiKey (1-800-344-4539) and order Pfanasonic DC fan part number
P9962-ND.  Unfortunately, it costs about $21, but it works better than
the original!  It's much quieter and there are no modifications needed
to make the fan work.

Larry

From esunix!lhoward@cs.utah.edu Wed Oct 11 06:17:19 1989
To: hellgate.utah.edu!ucscb.UCSC.EDU!odin@cs.utah.edu (Jon Granrose)

> So if I order this fan I can just take out the one I have now and stick
> this one in with no problems/redrilling/rewiring/etc.?
>
> Jon

Yup, that's right.  The only thing that needs to be done is to solder
the two wires off of the old fan onto the new fan.

Don't get the Radio Shack fans!  A friend did that and after trying
about four of them, he gave up trying to get a quiet one.  They all were
very noisy and some even rattled, like they already had bad bearings or
something.

Good luck.
|Jon Granrose        |ARPA: odin@ucscb.UCSC.EDU   jonathan@sco.com |  // Only |
|Cowell College, UCSC|      odin@pilot.njin.net   odin@ucscb.bitnet|\X/ Amiga!|
|Santa Cruz, CA 95064|UUCP:..!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!odin                         |

mofo@bucsf.bu.edu (jason greene) (06/14/90)

I am currently using an Sprofran on my 2000 and I can barely tell it's
there.

Works damn well too... sometimes makes the breeze around the back a little
too cold for the typing fingers :-)

menzies@altitude.CAM.ORG (Stephen Menzies) (06/15/90)

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) writes:
>Is there some way to replace the 2000's fan with a quieter fan

If you've had your 2000 for a while, the fan blades may be dirty.
Take a few minutes to clean them and it should run alot quieter.
Mine did.

--
Stephen Menzies
email: menzies@altitude.CAM.ORG