[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Printer Cable Information Needed

chaiklin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Chaiklin) (06/12/90)

I am a new owner of an Amiga 500.  I now want to get a printer.
I have read the manual and have found that there are several
printer drivers available.  I also own a Panasonic 1191 printer
(which emulates the Epson FX series).  I am assuming that
the Epson driver that comes with Workbench 1.3 will be sufficient to
drive such a printer.  However, I understand that the cable that
connects this printer to my IBM machine is not appropriate for
the Amiga.

My question: What kind of cable do I need?  Can you suggest a reliable
mail-order house or a shop in New York City that might carry such a
cable?  Any general comments about printers and Amiga 500s are also
appreciated.

Cheers,
  Seth

Seth Chaiklin         Institute for Learning Technologies
(212) 678-3899        Box 8, Teachers College, Columbia University, NYC 10027
INTERNET:  chaiklin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu    UUCP:  seth@ny-yn

frix@hexagon.pkmab.se (Fredrik Rothamel) (06/13/90)

In article <1990Jun12.031116.23271@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> chaiklin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Chaiklin) writes:

>I am a new owner of an Amiga 500.  I now want to get a printer.
>I have read the manual and have found that there are several
>printer drivers available.  I also own a Panasonic 1191 printer
>(which emulates the Epson FX series).  I am assuming that
>the Epson driver that comes with Workbench 1.3 will be sufficient to
>drive such a printer.  However, I understand that the cable that
>connects this printer to my IBM machine is not appropriate for
>the Amiga.

I'm using the IBM printer cable supplied with my printer, and that works
fine.
Both IBM and Amiga uses standard Centronics ports, so there should NOT
be any trouble at all.
Using the printer should not be a problem either. On the workbench disk
you will find a driver named 'Epson-X' especially for Epson-FX and
compatibles.
! Fredrik Rothamel, Syrenvaegen 9, S-702 20  OEREBRO, Sweden                !
! Internet:	frix@hexagon.pkmab.se                                       !
! UUCP:		sunic!kullmar!pkmab!hexagon!frix                            !

In article <705@hexagon.pkmab.se> frix@hexagon.pkmab.se (Fredrik Rothamel) writes:
> In article <1990Jun12.031116.23271@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> chaiklin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Chaiklin) writes:
> >
> >I am a new owner of an Amiga 500.  I now want to get a printer.
>  However, I understand that the cable that
> >connects this printer to my IBM machine is not appropriate for
> >the Amiga.
>
> I'm using the IBM printer cable supplied with my printer, and that works
> fine.
> Both IBM and Amiga uses standard Centronics ports, so there should NOT
> be any trouble at all.

To clarify - the A1000 required a special printer cable.  The A500, A2000
and A3000 are different from the A1000 and can use standard "IBM" printer
and modem cables.

whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) (06/15/90)

In article <1990Jun12.031116.23271@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
 chaiklin@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Seth Chaiklin) writes:

>My question: What kind of cable do I need?  Can you suggest a reliable
>mail-order house or a shop in New York City that might carry such a
>cable?

Seth,
	I was never told not to, so I just went right out and bought the
old IBM compatible printer cable, and it has worked flawlessly for about
2 years. I think that who ever was talking about printer cables meant the
A1000, which had a gender disrepency with the rest of the world, regarding
printer cables.

	Repeat: Nothing special about a A500 printer cable.
1.3 Epson driver on Extras is the driver you need.
ALAN