[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 86 pin bus compatibility

whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) (06/15/90)

Is the 86 pin bus in the A500 compatible with the one in the
A2000 box? I notice that there is no 28mhz clock on the A500
connector, but the signal is available inside.

If I build a card-rack/powersupply for the side of my A500,
can I put A2000 cards in it? How much work is required?

Alan (whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu)

In article <8189@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu (Alan Whinery) writes:
>Is the 86 pin bus in the A500 compatible with the one in the
>A2000 box? I notice that there is no 28mhz clock on the A500
>connector, but the signal is available inside.

The A500's 86 pin edge is the standard 86 pin edge, the same basic thing you
get from an A1000, and all you need to implement a decent Zorro II backplane.
The A2000 86 pin connector is a superset of this, designed as a slot for
Coprocessor boards like the A2620 and A2630, rather than as a bus extension
slot.

>If I build a card-rack/powersupply for the side of my A500,
>can I put A2000 cards in it? How much work is required?

A basic design for such a device is detailed in the A1000 "Schematics and
Expansion Specifications", and more A500/A2000-specific details are covered
in the "A500/A2000 Technical Reference Manual".  Both documents are published
by Commodore Applications and Technical Support.  The bus interface design
uses a couple of PALs, several buffer chips, and a handful of common SSI/MSI
LS-family TTL parts.

>Alan (whinery@hale.ifa.hawaii.edu)

	"I have been given the freedom to do as I see fit" -REM