[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Dvorak keyboards

chymes@fribourg.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) (06/15/90)

I might want a Dvorak keyboard.
Does anybody use one? Are they any good? What are the ups and downs of using one?
Where can I get one?

Charlweed

laba-3en@web-3a.berkeley.edu (The great and wonderful Jarafan) (06/16/90)

In article <1990Jun15.163327.14822@csmil.umich.edu> chymes@fribourg.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) writes:
>I might want a Dvorak keyboard.
>Does anybody use one? Are they any good? What are the ups and downs of using one?
>Where can I get one?
>
>Charlweed

         I use a dvorak keyboard.  They are much more efficient than standard
qwerty. All the common characters are located at easier to access places:

`1234567890\=}
',.pyfgcrl/]
aoeuidhtns-
;qjkxbmwvz

         I have found it to be more comfortable after the initial change.
Some drawbacks are that on a unix system the programs such as vi are biased
to qwerty so it is difficult to get used to having the movement keys for
instance in different points of the keyboard.  The major advantage to
dvorak is speed, and in my case(and maybe for others too) comfort.  Much of
your typing is actually done on the middle row and most other is actually
taken care of on the second row from the top.  Assuming you have an amiga,
you don't need any different keyboard than your current one.  You need to
use a program called setmap. :system/setmap usa2  , this will give you dvorak.
I found a program called Mavis Beacon Typing helpful because it has an option
for dvorak and it's an enthusiastic and intelligent tutor program.  Hope
this was helpful.

--Dan C. Jalkut--

Mail: gorn!snozer@ssyx.ucsc.edu

ESDYKE@MTUS5.BITNET (Erick Dyke) (06/16/90)

And, if your really wanting the actual feel of a dvorak keyboard, not only
use setmap, but pop off the keycaps on your keyboard and switch them
around.  That works real well (and is a lot cheaper than buying a new keyboard)

Erick.

dougp@voodoo.ucsb.edu (06/17/90)

-Message-Text-Follows-
In article <1990Jun15.163327.14822@csmil.umich.edu>, chymes@fribourg.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) writes...
>I might want a Dvorak keyboard.
>Does anybody use one? Are they any good? What are the ups and downs of using one?
>Where can I get one?
>
>Charlweed

If you have an Amiga, then you already have one. Try putting
system/setmap usa2
in your startup sequence. The dissadvantages are that some brain-damaged
software sidestepps the accepted practice of using the OS, and
translates the key codes directly to charactors ignoring the currently
selected keymap. Terminal programs are notorious for this transgression,
I have found that A-Talk III works correctly with keymaps though.

As far as use goes, I can't claim that I am getting much of an
improvement out of it, but that is mostly because I must program
IBM PC's at work, and those monstrosities are incapable of handling
anything so simple as remaping the keyboard. Basicly, I have found that
the keymap I revert to is dependant on what I am doing. If I am BBSing,
my typing reverts to dvorak, If I am writing C code, I revert to qwerty.
Also I have to watch the screen as I type, or the wrong sequence of
letters will be typed.

My opinion is that if you can avoid using querty entirely, go for the
dvorak, otherwise it will only slow you down. I use dvorak because I
am an idealist and won't use kludges unless I absolutely must.

Douglas peale

Note: Spelling errors are not caused by my mixing of dvorak and querty,
they are because I refused to learn how to spell. (spelling did not
folow a logical algorithm, Webster should have been shot :-)